Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 27, 2010, 02:50 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
One MAJOR difference here.
ebooker readers like the Kindle have specialized screen specifically adapted for reading digital print that won't irritate the eyes.

Having bought e-books a few times, I find it VERY difficult to read long bits of text on regular computer screen. I find it to be distracting and very straining.

Apple is using an IPS LCD which I have and find to be MUCH easier than the typical TN, but having test a few e-book readers with their specialized screen, nothing can really come close imo.

Colours and brightness look pretty soft and natural for their ebooks.

Did anyone who is cutting this down actually watch the keynote? It isn't just an ipod w/ a bigger screen. Sure it runs the same OS. But the media library is pretty damn slick. It can do speedsheets, keynote, and documents. 10 hours of battery life.

Are there any $500 notebooks w/ an LED-lit display? Don't think so. Any $500 notebooks w/ an IPS display? Don't think so.

Gaming sure the hell is a lot better than any notebook as well.

I was still not going to bother one until they said 3G support. As long as I can find a provider that doesn't rape me I will definitely be buying a 16GB model.
Complete
Forever Alone Complete
Old January 27, 2010, 02:51 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Apple could release a block of wood with their logo on it and dimwits would be lined up for miles to buy it.
Old January 27, 2010, 02:53 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by feerof View Post
@fixt

you gain some you lose some =P, i think it's a smart move from apple though...
Agreed Apple is heavily marketing this as a e-book reader alternative - even launching their own ibookstore
Old January 27, 2010, 03:01 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
You can hardly make that assessment based on photographs of a projected image being viewed on an LCD monitor. You would have to see it in person.
Quote:
Are there any $500 notebooks w/ an LED-lit display? Don't think so. Any $500 notebooks w/ an IPS display? Don't think so.
Why the hell would you want any of that on a netbook in the first place? All it does is unnecessarily add to the cost of the device.
Old January 27, 2010, 03:01 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:

True, it does seem they have put effort into it, but no matter what it is still going to be a glossy screen, as when your not reading, people want bright, vivid and vibrate colors. Best they are likely going to be able to do is adjust colours, contrast and brightness.

IMO I don't think it will compete well with the ebooker reader's EPD screen. Again pure speculation as I havn't seen the ipad, but based on my assumptions above.

In all honesty I really hope I'm wrong. I am very interested in the iPad but for me the ebook feature is #1 on my list hence the skepticism.

Kindle screen:

Last edited by FiXT; January 27, 2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old January 27, 2010, 03:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

Did anyone who is cutting this down actually watch the keynote? It isn't just an ipod w/ a bigger screen. Sure it runs the same OS. But the media library is pretty damn slick. It can do speedsheets, keynote, and documents. 10 hours of battery life.

Gaming sure the hell is a lot better than any notebook as well.

I was still not going to bother one until they said 3G support. As long as I can find a provider that doesn't rape me I will definitely be buying a 16GB model.
Well, I'm not sure what makes you so amazed at it. You're buying a big iPhone. That costs twice as much. With a good screen. If a big device that isn't portable (have fun bringing it anywhere without putting lots of pressure on the screen and breaking it) and isn't any more functional than an iPod Touch/iPhone with a nice screen is worth $650 to you, go nuts. It's all your opinion, it's not like I don't want you to buy it. For the sake of discussion, I don't think it's good at all. For one thing, people don't care about IPS screens (not the average consumer at least) and they want MULTI-TASKING. That's where this is a massive, massive failure. It doesn't do anything that an iPhone can't.
Old January 27, 2010, 03:08 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Why the hell would you want any of that on a netbook in the first place? All it does is unnecessarily add to the cost of the device.
Battery life, brightness, and viewing angles.
Complete
Forever Alone Complete
Old January 27, 2010, 03:10 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

It being a glorified iPhone isn't much of complaint given the fact that it is the exact same price as an iPhone

If it was alot more expensive, fine. But basically your getting a 10inch version with quite a few added features.
Old January 27, 2010, 03:14 PM
Associate Review Editor

I love the form factor, and absolutely have a use for a device like this, but I can't forgive the lack of A) multi-tasking, B) Flash support, C) USB port, D) Front-facing video camera.

Bring on the second generation.
Old January 27, 2010, 03:27 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

hehe

YouTube - MadTV - Ad: iPad