Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 31, 2007, 05:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default PC Perspective on Windows Vista gaming performance—Nvidia & ATI compared

"Windows Vista is the biggest shift in the consumer software world since Windows 95. I won't bore you with all the details of what makes the new OS changes so dramatic, but some things like indexed searching, security out the wazoo, a new user interface dubbed Aero Glass, integrated Media Center software and DirectX 10 might start the feature list.

For our look at Vista and gaming performance, the new DirectX 10 with a completely new graphics driver subsystem is the most noteable change. DirectX 10 adds support for geometry shading (or rather working on geometry in the same way pixels have been for years) and requires hardware developers to move to a unified shader architecture. You can get a LOT more detail on DX10 and the changes that NVIDIA has made to their GPU architecture because of it with the GeForce 8800 series of cards by taking a look over my GeForce 8800 GPU review.

What We are Watching For

Because of these dramatic changes to the graphics system, both NVIDIA and AMD have had to spend significant time redeveloping their graphics drivers to work with the new Windows Vista operating system. Both NVIDIA and AMD (and ATI) have been working on Vista development for YEARS and we have been hearing claims of having the best "Vista Support" from both camps nearly as long. But now that the day of redemption is actually here, who will come out on top?

I decided to take the retail version of Windows Vista Ultimate, got the latest drivers from both AMD and NVIDIA as of Friday and began to spend my weekend testing. What is important to note here is that my intention is NOT to compare the ATI Radeon cards against NVIDIA GeForce cards -- rather it was to compare the gaming experiences provided by ATI and NVIDIA on both Windows XP and Windows Vista.

Should *****s worry about upgrading to Vista right away or should they wait for drivier stability and performance to catch up with the Microsoft vision? Read on to find out."

More @ PC Perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old January 31, 2007, 08:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I know that I shouldn't but I want it-- tonight I almost said to hell with my free moduslink upgrade and bought a second hard drive and a full 64 bit copy of Vista to install on it so I could boot into either OS aschose- -had it all in my cart and was about to check out when I thought about water cooling and the fact that I was about to blow almost enough for a whole setup-- better hold off....