Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 25, 2010, 08:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallcschm View Post
Hey I think they may have left out a few companies.. Lmao that is the broadest patent I have ever heard of... That is like patenting the CPU and saying " I'm suing any computer producer who uses a CPU "
Well, Intel did patent/owns x86....
Old January 25, 2010, 09:04 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
If my memory is good, when Intel release the 850 with Rambus, all the other board that fallow was suppose to be on Rambus, but other company find the way to make run the P4 on Sdram, and after came the DDR. An Intel came back with DDR board... So I guess Rambus have some reason to hate everyone, they see their future end, with the release of the first Intel chipset working with Sdram,
It was supposed to be RDRAM for the high-end platform and SDRAM for the low-end platform, so Intel had the 850 chipset for RDRAM and the 845P chipset for SDRAM. However, RDRAM never caught on because of its price and usability issues (requirement to use pairs of sticks), and Intel was losing out on profit because AMD's platform used much cheaper DDR memory, so they released the 845PE chipset with DDR support and dropped RDRAM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
Well, Intel did patent/owns x86....
Which is not remotely the same thing. x86 is a specific CPU instruction set, which was designed by Intel. CPUs can still exist using other instruction sets. It's not as if Intel patented the concept of having a general purpose processing unit.
Old January 25, 2010, 09:42 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Sounds like some little weasel or team of them has found a way to attempt to recover from the whole rambus flop.
Old January 25, 2010, 04:59 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Reading the investigation now. These schmucks didn't leave anyone out. Here are the defendants:

NVIDIA Corporation
Asustek Computer Inc., Taiwan
ASUS Computer International, Inc
BFG Technologies, Inc.
Biostar Microtech (U.S.A.) Corp.
Biostar Microtech International Corp., Taiwan
Diablotek Inc.
EVGA Corp.
G.B.T. Inc.
Giga-byte Technology Co.
; Hewlett-Packard Co.
MSI Computer Corp.
Micro-star International Co., Ltd.
Palit Multimedia Inc.
Palit Microsystem Ltd.
Pine Technology Holdings, Ltd.
Sparkle Computer Co., Taiwan
at least AMD/ATI and Intel aren't on this list
Old January 25, 2010, 05:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Normally I would find this funny, but if this causes 1. Nvidia's prices to rise or 2. Nvidia to be unable to compete with ATI for any reason = we are all screwed and graphics cards are about to become STUPIDLY overpriced.....
Old January 25, 2010, 05:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default YEP

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
Normally I would find this funny, but if this causes 1. Nvidia's prices to rise or 2. Nvidia to be unable to compete with ATI for any reason = we are all screwed and graphics cards are about to become STUPIDLY overpriced.....
YEP
Old January 25, 2010, 06:14 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

I can tell you exactly what is going to happen. RAMBUS and nVidia are going to argue back and forth a bit, RAMBUS will make some unreasonable demands, nVidia will vehemently refuse, and it will end with nVidia paying RAMBUS some ridiculous sum of money, at which point everything will go back to the way it was before this silly lawsuit.
Old January 25, 2010, 07:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Samsung just "settled" with Rambus for $900 million. Wonder how much more money they will suck out of all the other companies.
Old January 25, 2010, 08:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
my thoughts and worries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
Samsung just "settled" with Rambus for $900 million. Wonder how much more money they will suck out of all the other companies.
now the question is what is rambus going to do with all this money?
Old January 25, 2010, 08:45 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
now the question is what is rambus going to do with all this money?
File more lawsuits, most likely. And I'm not even kidding.

Tags
lose suit , nividia