Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 21, 2010, 12:02 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Default Oracle-Sun Acquisition Receives Go Ahead

The European Union has given Oracle the go ahead to complete its acquisition of Sun Microsystems after the deal was scrutinized for potential antitrust issues. With the green light, Oracle - one of the world's top business software developers - can now complete its $7-billion dollar take over of Sun - one of world's largest system and server serv... [ Read full article ]
Old January 21, 2010, 05:05 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I'm still not sure where MySQL fits into all of this.
On one hand, it's direct competition to Oracle's own products, on the other hand, there are millions of installations out there, and if Oracle drops it, many people who will be annoyed.
Old January 21, 2010, 05:49 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleF View Post
I'm still not sure where MySQL fits into all of this.
On one hand, it's direct competition to Oracle's own products, on the other hand, there are millions of installations out there, and if Oracle drops it, many people who will be annoyed.

Which is exactly the reason for the antitrust inquiry.

There was concern that because Oracle's existing software would compete with MySQL, that during the merger Oracle would either drop support for it entirely, severely cut back support, or no longer market it as open source.

As you said - this would be absolutely disastrous for... well, the entire web.
Old January 21, 2010, 10:57 PM
Joe

Then, another alternative like postgresql would get better share.
Although you need to migrate your database :|