Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 21, 2010, 10:11 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlime View Post
I'd love to see someone create a really cheap dual GTS250 card with very little GDDR3. 128MB per core should be plenty for folding purposes I'd think - and it'd keep the card's price very reasonable.
EVGA release a co-op edition, may be it's time for a folding edition
Old January 21, 2010, 02:43 PM
Top Prospect

but it would end up being expensive though.
well, most likely
Old January 21, 2010, 02:45 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

You don't need the bridge to do SLI on two cards...do you need it for 4 GPUs?
Fold for team #54196
Old January 21, 2010, 08:06 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Interesting card.
Didn't they make that slim gtx 260 as well?
Old January 21, 2010, 10:19 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowTrobot View Post
Interesting card.
Didn't they make that slim gtx 260 as well?
Yes, that was them.
Old March 20, 2010, 06:46 AM
Unregistered

Seems to be very little understanding of folders here, even from people who talk like folders...

The benefit of this card will be having 2 gts250's in one slot. It may be cheaper to buy 2 single gts250's, hell they're only AU$130 brand new, but when you start thinking about people with 'folding farms' it makes a lot of sense. More cores per pci-e slot makes it cheaper to build a folding system.

Folders like that would still be buying 9800GX2's brand new if they could, provided the price was right. You might say, oh but the GTX295, but they're still too expensive, the price doesn't seem to have come down like it did with the 9800gx2, that and it's damn near impossible to find anything above a 260 for sale anymore.

If this card is released and at a decent price, folders will buy it by the container load. It'll all be about the $$$ though.
Old March 20, 2010, 09:56 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Seems to be very little understanding of folders here, even from people who talk like folders...

The benefit of this card will be having 2 gts250's in one slot. It may be cheaper to buy 2 single gts250's, hell they're only AU$130 brand new, but when you start thinking about people with 'folding farms' it makes a lot of sense. More cores per pci-e slot makes it cheaper to build a folding system.

Folders like that would still be buying 9800GX2's brand new if they could, provided the price was right. You might say, oh but the GTX295, but they're still too expensive, the price doesn't seem to have come down like it did with the 9800gx2, that and it's damn near impossible to find anything above a 260 for sale anymore.

If this card is released and at a decent price, folders will buy it by the container load. It'll all be about the $$$ though.
What you seem to be failing to understand is that with the advent of -bigadv, GPUs are no longer the way to go when it comes to cramming the most folding power into the smallest power envelope. It would be a much more attractive prospect to toss in a few single-GPU cards to keep heat and power consumption down while running -bigadv units on an i7 CPU to maximise PPD. And you're also assuming that the price of this card will be reasonably low, which is not particularly likely given development and manufacturing costs of a custom product like this. Chances are that by the time it's available (if it ever becomes available), it won't be much cheaper than a GTX295.