Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 7, 2010, 11:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
dont worry about it, i was off. Area is (pi*r) SQAURED, lol. Yeah, im tired today. Check bojangles' post
Actually, you need more coffee lol.

It's Pi*(r^2).
Old January 7, 2010, 11:57 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
This. I think you're right on the money . But to clarify, dual actuator needs dual proc, correct? Otherwise there would be a mix up in IO?
not really as the main actuators swing the arm into rough position and then a piezoelectric on the tip(ish) near the head precisely moves it to the right track. Dual proc allow it to issue a command and receive the next one and calculate it all at the same time.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 7, 2010, 12:00 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
That 15K Cheeta is a SAS drive though, as far as I'm aware that is the only flavour they came in.
This is a SATA Drive and I look forward to it.
ST

don't mistake me I look for it too..., my Cheetah are older , they are SCii

I was just asking if it's the same size, because we talk about the limitation of the plater vs rpm
Old January 7, 2010, 12:17 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK2 View Post
2.5 * pi = 7.85 @ 10K = 78500 in/sec
3.5 * pi = 10.99 @ 7.2K = 79128 in/sec
It's actually 1308in/sec for the 2.5" drive and 1319in/sec for the 3.5". RPM is revolutions per minute, so you have to divide by 60 to get the speed in terms of seconds.
Old January 7, 2010, 01:17 PM
MVP

With the Caviar Black 2TB, there's really no reason to get that. Like, at all.
Old January 7, 2010, 02:47 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I wouldn't count out the VRaptor line yet. Never know what tricks they have up their sleeve. Just look at the 2TB vs 1TB. HUGE gains in random access. IF they do like I think they will (and I have no idea/ insider info, this all just a guess) we could see the next gen VRaptor out right destroy the "old" Vraptor. VERY interesting and might just be perfect for peeps not ready to take the SSD plunge yet want extreme speed at a fairly reasonable price (about 42 cents US a GB IF rumors on price are correct).

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 7, 2010, 02:50 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raserei408 View Post
With the Caviar Black 2TB, there's really no reason to get that. Like, at all.

Sure there is, its the same reason the Raptors sold so well when they first came out. The capacity might not have been great but the speed was amazing and reliability was very good.

And if given a 64MB Cache they will absolutly dance all over a Black 2TB for speed comparision. Even if it doesnt' have the 2TB storage, I can promise you that people will be buying these for OS Drives.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 8, 2010, 07:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If the power consumption numbers for the new VRaptor are anything like the old one, it should also beat the 2 TB Caviar black in performance / watt.
If it's not audible from 4 metres away like the old Raptors in my work, then I'd pick one up to replace my OS drive (currently using 60 GB of a Samsung 1 TB drive).
Old January 8, 2010, 01:52 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

This new 600GB VRaptor might be interesting especially if they keep it in the $200 range. It's true that a single SSD drive will be faster but let's not forget that the price per GB with SSDs is still tremendously un-competitive even against a VRaptor.

In the past, I've always bought VRaptors - I am sure WD will once again find a market niche for this drive. They're not stupid - someone has obviously done the math and concluded that despite the SSD revolution, there will be enough buyers of the 600GB VRaptor to at least cover the R&D and production.
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 256GB Samsung 850 Pro | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 4GB GTX 970 Windforce | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit