Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 29, 2009, 09:52 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default USB Video - The Wave of The Future?

What many users today do not realize is USB Video interface has been around for a few years now. However in the past the bandwidth offered by USB 2.0 was unable to rival that of the more popular HDMI outputs. DisplayLink hopes to change that. With USB 3.0 a reality and the massive bandwidth it offers DisplayLink has the tools now to make USB Video ... [ Read full article ]
Old December 29, 2009, 10:23 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I don't see how the 4.8 GBPS of USB 3.0 outpaces HDMI 1.3 @ 10.2 GBPS...
Old December 29, 2009, 10:42 AM
MVP
F@H

Personally, I strongly dislike USB connections/ports, period. Much like the BetaMax fiasco, we consumers now have to live with the lesser of the many formats we had to "choose" from. Aside from the 'hot-swap' feature, every other connector is superior to USB. Oh well.
Old December 30, 2009, 11:28 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepSix View Post
Aside from the 'hot-swap' feature, every other connector is superior to USB. Oh well.
That and broad compatibility between different PCs and hardware peripherals? Sorry, but the idea of a different computer port for every different piece of hardware I have doesn't sound very appealing. It wasn't very appealing. And super speed USB will help fill that performance gap you are complaining about.
Old December 31, 2009, 10:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Next generation video output? Ya right. What would even be the purpose to use USB for video output since most budget mobo's have integrated graphics and if you're going high end your probably gonna get a video card.... Unless these adapter dealiohs cost like 5 bucks then whats the point. Maybe for some extra monitors? I dont really understand how it would work though, do you just hook it up to the front panel usb ports and it outputs video from there? Or do you put it inside your case, hook it up the the USB headers? I'm guessing the former? How is the video processed, on the cpu? HUUUUUUHHHHH??? lol
Old December 31, 2009, 11:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

HDMI 1.4 (they announced it a while ago i believe) has somewhere around 15GBPS.... don't quote me on that.... but it would be REALLY nice to only have 1 type of cable.
Old December 31, 2009, 11:26 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I know its wiki but here are the comparisons between 1.3 HDMI and proposed 1.4 HDMI HDMI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old December 31, 2009, 11:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Name:  HDMI.bmp
Views: 196
Size:  188.0 KB
Those look to be like the major differences(edit: oops except for that CEC commands one) and the higher res on lower bitrates. But why we talking HDMI 1.4 in this thread?

Last edited by headsh0t; December 31, 2009 at 11:57 AM.
Old December 31, 2009, 12:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Comparing USB to the bandwidth of HDMI.
Old December 31, 2009, 12:42 PM
MVP

My System Specs

My point was that even current HDMI is faster than USB 3.0, which shows that whoever wrote this bit of 'news' is either misinformed or lying. HDMI has been accepted as the HD connector of choice for the vast majority of the market, not only because of the bandwidth, but because it integrates uncompressed audio and video signals in one cable/connector. USB isn't even a competing product, really...

The only really good thing about USB is its universality. Of course, that's also its downfall, I believe. Backward compatibility means that the connector must remain the same physical size, therefore limiting the connector to whatever is most cost-effective and possible with technology when it is produced. If the changed the physical size of the USB connector (and composition of the cables) for USB 3.0, a much greater bandwidth than 4.8 GBPS could be achieved. Of course, this would mean it would no longer be 'universal', at least without an adapter.