Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 31, 2009, 04:51 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikellini View Post
My point was that even current HDMI is faster than USB 3.0, which shows that whoever wrote this bit of 'news' is either misinformed or lying. HDMI has been accepted as the HD connector of choice for the vast majority of the market, not only because of the bandwidth, but because it integrates uncompressed audio and video signals in one cable/connector. USB isn't even a competing product, really...

The only really good thing about USB is its universality. Of course, that's also its downfall, I believe. Backward compatibility means that the connector must remain the same physical size, therefore limiting the connector to whatever is most cost-effective and possible with technology when it is produced. If the changed the physical size of the USB connector (and composition of the cables) for USB 3.0, a much greater bandwidth than 4.8 GBPS could be achieved. Of course, this would mean it would no longer be 'universal', at least without an adapter.
As I understand it, they have actually changed the physical shape of the connector for USB 3.0; the difference is that it is merely an addition to the previous connector, making it so legacy USB devices can plug into 3.0 ports, and arguably even 3.0 devices into legacy ports (though, of course, their speeds would be limited by the change.
Old December 31, 2009, 05:45 PM
MVP

My System Specs

hmm, I didn't know that. It makes sense though... Anyway, for data transfer, I wonder if eSATA 6 GBPS will compete with USB 3.0 on a level other than traditional portable drives... probably not.
Old December 31, 2009, 06:52 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
My point was that even current HDMI is faster than USB 3.0, which shows that whoever wrote this bit of 'news' is either misinformed or lying. HDMI has been accepted as the HD connector of choice for the vast majority of the market, not only because of the bandwidth, but because it integrates uncompressed audio and video signals in one cable/connector. USB isn't even a competing product, really...

The only really good thing about USB is its universality. Of course, that's also its downfall, I believe. Backward compatibility means that the connector must remain the same physical size, therefore limiting the connector to whatever is most cost-effective and possible with technology when it is produced. If the changed the physical size of the USB connector (and composition of the cables) for USB 3.0, a much greater bandwidth than 4.8 GBPS could be achieved. Of course, this would mean it would no longer be 'universal', at least without an adapter.
First off, I am not Lying, I am just going on the information available.
So please, link me anywhere that says this is BS and I'll gladly pull the article.
Secondly, USB has a lot of potential for things that aren't enthusiast related, which is where this will catch on the most as we will see at CES when it gets unveiled. As for Bandwidth, although I don't have the numbers for HDMI, remember that the card is limited to the PCI-E Slot as well, Regardless.
And at this point USB connectors would help streamline a lot of the clutter on boards these days. Much like Intel is doing with their Lightwave Technology and trying to move all connectors to FiberOPtics. Streamlining and making things simpler will eventually make a lot of products cost less if there is only ever one type of connector required.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 31, 2009, 10:06 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Well, to be honest, I'm not exactly sure that this post has anything to do with a press release or tech news. The only 'news' you posted was that DisplayLink is planning to release a USB 3.0 product some time in 2010. On top of that, you claim that USB and HDMI are rivals, when in fact, neither standard has ever been in direct competition with one another. And the vague claim that USB 3.0 will be able to 'outpace' HDMI seems ludicrous since the only measurable performance figure you mentioned was bandwidth, and in fact, the bandwidth of future USB 3.0 devices will be less than half of the bandwidth of current HDMI devices, and according to another poster, less than a third of HDMI 1.4... Considering that PCIe 2.0 has an approximate max bandwidth of 16 GB/s (128 Gbps), I don't think that PCIe will be a limiting factor for either. Tell me I'm wrong. I realize it's slow for news over the holidays, but that doesn't mean you need to contrive something for us to read. If I wanted that, I'd check out The Inquirer.
Old December 31, 2009, 11:47 PM
HaDeS

thumb drives are one of the easiest things to use... you can train a monkey to use it. With that in mind why not have USB video? Take you thumb drive into the video store buy a video and plug it into your player at home. I would much rather have a collection of flash drives for movies than cd's and cases everywhere.
Old December 31, 2009, 11:57 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaDeS View Post
thumb drives are one of the easiest things to use... you can train a monkey to use it. With that in mind why not have USB video? Take you thumb drive into the video store buy a video and plug it into your player at home. I would much rather have a collection of flash drives for movies than cd's and cases everywhere.
That would be cool, except this article is about something completely different.
Old January 1, 2010, 12:02 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

"thumb drives are one of the easiest things to use... you can train a monkey to use it. With that in mind why not have USB video? Take you thumb drive into the video store buy a video and plug it into your player at home. I would much rather have a collection of flash drives for movies than cd's and cases everywhere."

Read the article again. That's not what it's about. This article is about the idea of using USB as an interface for video out, like HDMI, VGA, S-video, etc.

But yeah, I can't wait until flash memory is as cheap as DVDs.
Old January 1, 2010, 01:07 AM
MVP

I would say its possible with USB 3.0, And it might be useful for things other then computers... How about a portable dvd player that can plug into any lcd screen with usb.

I dont see it being that big but it might be cool in a few situations.
Old January 1, 2010, 08:34 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Well, to be honest, I'm not exactly sure that this post has anything to do with a press release or tech news. The only 'news' you posted was that DisplayLink is planning to release a USB 3.0 product some time in 2010. On top of that, you claim that USB and HDMI are rivals, when in fact, neither standard has ever been in direct competition with one another. And the vague claim that USB 3.0 will be able to 'outpace' HDMI seems ludicrous since the only measurable performance figure you mentioned was bandwidth, and in fact, the bandwidth of future USB 3.0 devices will be less than half of the bandwidth of current HDMI devices, and according to another poster, less than a third of HDMI 1.4... Considering that PCIe 2.0 has an approximate max bandwidth of 16 GB/s (128 Gbps), I don't think that PCIe will be a limiting factor for either. Tell me I'm wrong. I realize it's slow for news over the holidays, but that doesn't mean you need to contrive something for us to read. If I wanted that, I'd check out The Inquirer.
If you want to go trolling, do it elsewhere. But before you make acusations why don't you do yourself a favour and do a google search.

techPowerUp! News :: DisplayLink to Adopt USB 3.0

I'm not going to post everyone out there but your accusations hold no merit.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 1, 2010, 12:10 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Honestly, I'm not trolling, I was just calling you on your shi... The original article didn't even mention HDMI, you made those false statements all on your own. Save the writing for the writers.