Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 16, 2009, 11:36 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Default Intel Six-Core Processors Named and Priced

Despite the fact that most media outlets speculated that Intel's next generation of Core series CPUs would be titled under a new label, it would appear "Core-i9" is just a figment of our imagination. This new breed of processor which brings major changes such as the 32nm manufacturing process and a jump to six-cores, is instead lumped in with its... [ Read full article ]
Old December 16, 2009, 11:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Overpriced they said:) I would get a AMD opteron 6 core instead of this one. Always great to see CPU builder to put more and more on Research. I like that.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old December 16, 2009, 11:46 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

*coughoverpricedgarbagecough*

who the hell needs 12 threads for regular use? Most games don't scale well above 2-4 cores, if at all.
Therefore, give us 4 cores that are faster than any before and make the thing run cool (and very OCable), then we'll be talking. Junk.

Edit:
@ Martin_Metal: Whats so new about this? Just more of the same cores w/ a die shrink. Nothing new to see here.
Old December 16, 2009, 01:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well it's pretty easy to put 6 core in a CPU but make them run good not so hot and with less power that's devlopement.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old December 16, 2009, 01:13 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
*coughoverpricedgarbagecough*
*coughAMDFXseriescough*

Now that the shoe is on the other foot, everyone is complaining? This is an Extreme Edition CPU; it's meant to be priced high. It's also a 6-core chip, and overclockers have been breaking 4GHz easily with pre-release samples, so it's pretty obvious that this chip will still beat the pants off of anything else when it comes to gaming.

What I'm really waiting for are the Xeon variants of this chip, which we should see come in at lower prices since they won't be EE CPUs. Those will be real killers.
Old December 16, 2009, 01:26 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
*coughAMDFXseriescough*

Now that the shoe is on the other foot, everyone is complaining? This is an Extreme Edition CPU; it's meant to be priced high. It's also a 6-core chip, and overclockers have been breaking 4GHz easily with pre-release samples, so it's pretty obvious that this chip will still beat the pants off of anything else when it comes to gaming.

What I'm really waiting for are the Xeon variants of this chip, which we should see come in at lower prices since they won't be EE CPUs. Those will be real killers.
FX series was sooooo like 3+ years ago. Intel is overpricing things NOW. I don't care if it breaks 4Ghz or not, a $150 use E8400 can do that. Architecture is startsing to count over clock speed, and Intel isn't doing much to change theirs, other than make it smaller to fit more cores in the same space/heat threshold. Oh, and stealing ideas from other chip makers while theyre at it *cough*. And if i'm not mistaken, wasn't Nehalem based off of Pentium MMX designs anyways? Originality fail if thats the case. Why not make a new sub-300 CPU that has 4 cores that knocks the pants off any other quad core?.... Noooo, cause then they couldn't bleed the fanboys dry by charging a thousand bucks for their new tech. Again, anything over 4 threads is useless for 99% of users.
Old December 16, 2009, 01:37 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
FX series was sooooo like 3+ years ago. Intel is overpricing things NOW.
If it weren't for Intel in the first place, we'd still be paying $300 for mid-range CPUs, which is what AMD was charging last time they were on top. The only reason AMD isn't still overcharging is because Intel beat them back down into the ground in terms of performance. You can bet your ass that if AMD still had performance-competitive CPUs, they would be charging just as much as Intel is right now, if not more.
Quote:
I don't care if it breaks 4Ghz or not, a $150 use E8400 can do that. Architecture is startsing to count over clock speed, and Intel isn't doing much to change theirs, other than make it smaller to fit more cores in the same space/heat threshold.
The Nehalem architecture is very different from the old Core 2 architecture. Intel made many design changes to improve both single-threaded and multi-threaded performance across the board.
Quote:
Oh, and stealing ideas from other chip makers while theyre at it *cough*.
The only thing Intel took from AMD was the concept of an integrated memory controller.
Quote:
And if i'm not mistaken, wasn't Nehalem based off of Pentium MMX designs anyways?
You are mistaken. Also, most of AMD's CPUs were based on Intel designs. AMD themselves started out by making clones of Intel CPUs (the lawsuit that came out of that is what caused the x86 cross-licensing agreement to be created, and the only reason that happened was to create competition in the marketplace for Intel).
Quote:
Why not make a new sub-300 CPU that has 4 cores that knocks the pants off any other quad core?....
Newegg.ca - Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
Old December 16, 2009, 01:49 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

My i5 750 @ stock is faster then anything AMD has to offer clocked as high as it can go. I discovered that when I got this chip and started doing my work with it. All around my chip absolutly destroys anything AMD has out and this the first intel I have ever owned.
Old December 16, 2009, 01:50 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Blah blah blah, I'm a fanboy.
I reject all your arguments.

Back OT: Don't buy one. Wait.

@ Fudd: Traitor! Fanboy! lol... "Jump ship to the fastest! Doesn't matter who! I need the extra 10% performance for 30% more price!"
Old December 16, 2009, 01:53 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Buddy have you seen the shat your spewing here? Your worse then those nerds on that Fanboys movie. Do something productive with your pc where time is $$ and see your attitude change. I stuck it out with AMD through thick and thin since 95' and they just couldnt deliver performance needed at all for production.