Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 16, 2009, 03:52 AM
Allstar

Default Watch out...here comes Google!!

This should shock the mobile industry:

Reuters: Nexus One Available Directly Through Google Website January 5 | AndroidGuys

Quote:
Here’s the price: $199 unlocked in stores. $100 rebate online if you have an active and old Google account. That $100 rebate is either to buy it $99 online from Google’s online phone store, for using on Android Marketplace or for using on any Google Checkout stores. Can also be used for T-Mobile or AT&T pre-paid Data SIM card service at $29 per month, no contracts required.

Google will push full VOIP usage on these, meaning no voice/sms plans needed at any carrier. Voice calls will go through Google Voice on Data SIM cards and will provide unlimited free voice calling. And SMS is replaced by unlimited free Gtalk.

Finally, Google will provide easy roaming data services in other countries. For example, if you go to Europe, you can roam on HSDPA data networks for the same price of 20€ per month, and if you only stay in Europe for a few days you won’t need to pay for the whole month. You may not even need to change the SIM card.

I sure hope this starts stimulating significant changes in pricing. I will never go under contract again...die Bell.

CHEERS
Old December 16, 2009, 04:19 AM
MVP

Too good to be true...

Also I want to eat my words, I want this.
Old December 16, 2009, 05:09 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Not sure I would want a voip phone but if accurate, it should shake things up a little bit.
Fold for team #54196
Old December 16, 2009, 06:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

and shaking things up in the mobile phone market is a great price's are crazy ( are business plans cost thousands a year and were a small company ) rape the little guys always have been.
Old December 16, 2009, 06:58 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Not in Canada. Ever. I am sure someone will find a way to lock these things out so the CRTC can have its usual BS period of musing over competition.
Old December 16, 2009, 07:58 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Not in Canada. Ever. I am sure someone will find a way to lock these things out so the CRTC can have its usual BS period of musing over competition.
I have to agree. Competition in Canada in the retail market for pretty much anything is constantly squashed.
Old December 16, 2009, 04:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I wish phone plans would become realistic. I should only have to pay $30 a month and have everything basically unlimited across north america including data.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old December 17, 2009, 08:46 AM
Rookie

if anyone wants these and they're not available in canada and interested in them i could always bring one over ;p
joy of going to school in US.
too bad these require sim cards
Old December 17, 2009, 08:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

sim cards are a good thing