Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 10, 2009, 11:42 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Default MSI 890FX-G70 Motherboard Pictures Leaked

AMD is setting up for a handful of exciting releases in the next year, namely the release of its new Leo platform and the debut of the 6-core Thuban processors. Included with that is the launch of the AMD 890FX series that combines the new SB850 southbridge with the RD890 chipset. Coolaler has managed to obtain a sneak peak at an upcoming 890FX mo... [ Read full article ]
Old December 10, 2009, 11:44 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Sold! Totally getting one.
Old December 10, 2009, 11:46 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

SIX freaking PCI-Ex16 slots.....
Thats just as insane as the p55 classified 200 and it doesn't require a whole new motherboard standard to fit it on.

This is the new folding motherboard
Old December 10, 2009, 11:48 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Dont think all 6 will be full 16x though. most likely there will be 3-4 full 16x lanes working together, with the slots in between working at 8x or 4x speeds. Still though, full 4-way 16x crossfireX will be amazing 4x 5870's anyone? lol.
Old December 10, 2009, 12:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Sometimes in 2010 ? I read spring in one of thoses roadmap article. Anobody read something else ? If they can get a finished mobo, should it not be an earlier release ?

This should be an interesting time in the cpu world. Altough, I guess AMD, will still be catching up mode, getting a product that should somewhat compete with the current I7 (6 vs 8 threads).

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old December 10, 2009, 12:05 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

whoops thanks - Supposed to be Q2 2010
That is the expected launching of the entire Leo platform.

From my understanding thuban will be a true 6 cores vs the i7 4 + 4 virtual. How a true 6 will perform vs. a 4by4 will definitely be interesting though as you say.

If they can in fact pull if off right- AMD could potentially have a top notch rival product. The Phenom II X4 line WAS already a very good competitor for the price - though with Intel's Core series expansion, the benefit has dwindled.
Old December 10, 2009, 01:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

LEts see what Giga has up their sleeve. Or if MSI is going to improve their customer support.

Still, 6 -core I'm not worried about. Both my AM3 boards will support it. Thanks to the way AMD runs their upgrade process. BIOS Flash = New Chip!

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 10, 2009, 01:13 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
LEts see what Giga has up their sleeve. Or if MSI is going to improve their customer support.

Still, 6 -core I'm not worried about. Both my AM3 boards will support it. Thanks to the way AMD runs their upgrade process. BIOS Flash = New Chip!

ST
Good point there ST! AMD is always easily upgradeable nowadays. I think I'd get this board anyways though, for Sata3/USB3/PCI-express lanes/OC'ing (using Lemonlime's old 790Gx board right now).
Old December 10, 2009, 01:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

6 cores..... I wonder how expensive the new CPUs would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
This is the new folding motherboard
How much do you plan to spend on your folding monster? 6 PCI-E slots....that's probably around $1000 on GPUs alone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
whoops thanks - Supposed to be Q2 2010
That is the expected launching of the entire Leo platform.

From my understanding thuban will be a true 6 cores vs the i7 4 + 4 virtual. How a true 6 will perform vs. a 4by4 will definitely be interesting though as you say.

If they can in fact pull if off right- AMD could potentially have a top notch rival product. The Phenom II X4 line WAS already a very good competitor for the price - though with Intel's Core series expansion, the benefit has dwindled.
Q2 is so far away...But it doesn't matter to me anyways since I don't got the funds.

Can you look at this like how the Pentium 4 with HT enabled compares to the Pentium D? I believe the Pentium D were just 2 Pentium 4 cores put together...

I like how AMD is doing things. They got their ATI 5XXX release right are pretty much dominating the GPU market. Next up is the CPU market in which Intel pretty much has a monopoly on the performance end. However, AMD's doing everything possible to change all this. Pretty interesting 2010 year for us.
Old December 10, 2009, 01:35 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Anyone have any idea what kind of improvements 890FX will bring over 790FX?