Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 8, 2009, 12:45 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Default Seagate Announces Entrance into SSD Market with Pulsar Series

From the company that has notoriously resisted jumping on the the SSD bandwagon, comes the Seagate Pulsar line of solid state drives. Since the ousting of Bill Watkins as Seagate CEO, the company seems to welcome moving past the mechanical hard drive (albeit very slowly) and address the final frontier in computer hardware bottlenecks. Seagate Press... [ Read full article ]
Old December 8, 2009, 01:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow finally Seagate jumps on the bandwagon......but will anyone trust them after the firmware fiasco?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old December 8, 2009, 01:42 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
Wow finally Seagate jumps on the bandwagon......but will anyone trust them after the firmware fiasco?
Probably not much trust at first, until the reviews come in and others have taken the plunge.
Seagate did mention a 5 year warranty though (OCZ is 3 years I think).
No mention of price or availability dates that I can find.
MAIN: i5 3570 @ 4.5Ghz wH100 / evga GTX780 SOC / MSI Z77A-G45 / 8gb G.Skill 2133 1T / 30" 2560x1600 / Antec P280 / PCP&C 950w / Intel 520 SSD 240gb / Eclipse / G3-Lazer / z5300 / Win7 Pro64 / APC Xs1300
HTPC : nMedia6000B / AMD X2 4400+ / M2A-VM / Corsair 4GB 800 / LiteOn Blu-Ray / 8800GT / Samsung 46"LCD / 2x2TB / OCZ500 / ATI550 / Wrless Kbrd & Rmte / z-5500 / Win7Pro / APC700
"You must be the change you want to see in the world" 
- Mahatma Gandhi  
Old December 8, 2009, 02:02 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSound View Post
No mention of price or availability dates that I can find.

They have been releasing this to OEM's since about September '09 - though pricing wasn't revealed. I suspect it may make its retail debut during CES 2010.

But I doubt it is going to be cheap. It is focusod primarily as an enterprise solution, thus it will use far high quality components than we would ever seen in the consumer level sector
Old December 8, 2009, 02:05 PM
Banned
F@H

+1. but if the HD industry start to produce them, price will probably drop

Quote:
Old December 8, 2009, 02:32 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Ya...I used to see Seagate recommended every time a build/HDD thread came up. Now it's mostly been WD. Poor execution by Seagate when it came time for them to step up to the plate. For a few months, people were given the runaround and Seagate was hush hush until it finally broke the major tech sites. Took them quite a bit to work to finally fix the problem but the trust is already gone. Besides that, it wasn't a wise move on their part to lower the warranty to 3 years either. Seems like they don't have confidence in their products.

So will they be entering the consumer market with SSDs anytime soon?