Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 13, 2009, 04:48 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default HIS Joins the Foray of Custom Cooled 5700 Series Cards

Although not the first to introduce a custom solution for AMD's 5700 series of cards, HIS has long since been a player in non-referance Cards. With such a lineage to follow, it is natural to see this latest design. Enter the iCooler IV.

Many of us will remember the IceQ series from HIS. Teamed with Arctic Cooling it made for some of the better no... [ Read full article ]
Old November 13, 2009, 05:24 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Why would HIS, probably one of the pioneers of good "exhaust out the back" coolers, make a useless and ugly cooler like this? Whatever happened to their IceQ series? Hell, the heat Should go out the back, so make a better-than-reference design that does so better than reference and we'll buy it.... but not this. Blah.
Old November 13, 2009, 05:36 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Shut up, it's because they still work with Arctic Cooling. This cooler might be ugly but it's quite efficient and this card in particular generate almost no heat compared to the high-end stuff and that makes the blower style coolers useless.

Old November 13, 2009, 05:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow, some people must be in a bad mood (including me yesterday, and I apologize!).

I'd love to see them build another IceQ cooler. Those were the bomb back then. The only thing I care about right now though is that hopefully another partner will issue a modder friendly lifetime warranty.
Old November 13, 2009, 05:59 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwik View Post
Shut up, it's because they still work with Arctic Cooling. This cooler might be ugly but it's quite efficient and this card in particular generate almost no heat compared to the high-end stuff and that makes the blower style coolers useless.
Don't you dare talk to me like that. First of all, exhausting the heat out the back of the case is always better than dumping it inside, without exception. Secondly, partnership or not with AC, their own IceQ coolers were always far superior IMO. And if, for the htpc users, silence is such a requirement, then HIS should've stuck with their iSilence passive coolers, instead of this plastic-shrouded mediocre cooler.
Old November 13, 2009, 06:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwik View Post
Remember that some asus card have a similar cooler and they can be...loud...Most of the time rear exhaust fan are best for silence VS performance and the IceQ were pretty nice looking also. Will miss them.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old November 13, 2009, 09:17 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Unreal. The HD 5700-series does NOT need to be custom cooled with a dual slot heatsink. For the love of God, give me a damn single slot heatsink.
Old November 13, 2009, 12:15 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Don't you dare talk to me like that. First of all, exhausting the heat out the back of the case is always better than dumping it inside, without exception. Secondly, partnership or not with AC, their own IceQ coolers were always far superior IMO. And if, for the htpc users, silence is such a requirement, then HIS should've stuck with their iSilence passive coolers, instead of this plastic-shrouded mediocre cooler.
++Passive. HTPC market would eat it up.
Old November 14, 2009, 05:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clone63 View Post
++Passive. HTPC market would eat it up.
Only if the market can get over the paranoia of having a passive cooler. I still remember a video of a passively cooled 8800gt cooking something

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W