Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 11, 2009, 09:41 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Default G.Skill Announces Falcon II Series SSDs

G.Skill International Co. Ltd., manufacturer of extreme performance memory and solid-state storage with solid quality, has today released its Falcon II SATA II 2.5? Solid State Drive (SSD).Featuring the new Indilinx ECO controller, the Falcon II SSD can be perfectly matched with the latest 34nm NAND flash memory, which has a greater data density fo... [ Read full article ]
Old November 11, 2009, 11:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

weird there slower then the falcons
Old November 11, 2009, 11:43 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The original Falcon is the GSkill version of the OCZ Vertex.
The Falcon 2 is the GSkill version of the OCZ Agility.
Different market niches FTW! :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 12, 2009, 07:55 PM
Banned

I have to disagree with your analogy there AKG. According to other reviews the Falcon 2 is faster than the Vertex.

GSkill Falcon 128GB SSD review

Although....what is the REAL difference between the Falcon and Falcon 2 besides the smaller NM ram?

I would like to see a direct comparison writeup between these two drives if at all possible. Right now I have a Falcon 2 waiting for payment.
Old December 13, 2009, 04:43 AM

While I still don't have one to test, in the review you liked (from may 2009) they tested the original Falcon vs the Vertex, not the recently announced Falcon 2. As we saw in HWC reviews the only dif between the original Falcon, the Vertex and Torqx is in drive to drive variability...or firmware, which that reviewer points out in their conclusion was different between the two.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 13, 2009, 04:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

should i buy a falcon 2 or 1 to go with my other falcon's is the question ?
Old December 13, 2009, 05:17 AM

Assuming you are Raid'ing them, I'd go with the original Falcon as the new one is supposed to be slower than the original and your raid is only as fast as your slowest drive.

Old December 13, 2009, 05:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

thank that's what i thought just was not too sure what the hell is going on in the ssd world right know so many new drives in the last 2 weeks from patriot thank akg
EDIT Do you think the falcon 1 are going to be discontinued?? hope not
Old December 13, 2009, 09:53 AM

Eventually the Sata 3's will take over as the top tier, but until then I doubt the Falcon 1 is going anywhere. Its a kick ass drive, thats only really starting to show its full potential in the past firmware or two. All this confusion IS the result of the naming scheme. G Skill really should have taken a page from OCZ and given the F2 a dif name (like OCZ did with Agility and Vertex).

Old December 13, 2009, 12:58 PM
Banned

Ah I see my mistake. Sry AKG.

Would still love to see a comparison though IF you get one or not....or if you know of anyone that has a review of the two.

AHHA!!! Found out what I needed to know.

Falcon 1 is faster but does not support native trim.....however the latest firmware SLOWS IT DOWN TO F2 SPEEDS.

Falcon 2 is a little bit slower ( not as slow as ppl say ) due to native TRIM support.

So what it comes down too is this. Do you want a super fast drive that will die before its time or do you want a slightly slower one that will last a lot longer.

Me? I will stick with the Falcon 2 for my customer then.

Last edited by Digikid; December 13, 2009 at 01:12 PM.