Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 13, 2009, 02:34 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Considering both use Indi Bigfoot controller variants (my understanding is that the Eco is just a newer variant and not a new controller chip) ....I doubt the firmware is that different. Trim slows things down on this gen SSDs (about 10% at most). This is not going to change anytime soon (though wouldn't be too surprised if after a firmware or two things get better, as this is first firmware w/ Native TRIM support). BUT it will be interesting to see how it effects things. However, BOTH versions do support TRIM. Falcon 1 came out before TRIM firmware was released and thus need an update. Since the F2's are just out...they come with the TRIM firmware already loaded for you :)

You really cant go wrong with either the Falcon or the Falcon 2. Both should impress anyone who has never used an SSD before ;)

My personal preference is how OCZ is handling firmware. One version with TRIM (1.4), another variant with refined ITGC (1.4.1). The latter is what I run as it does not slow things down and starts to clean itself up PDQ during low IO's. Really wish more company's would follow OCZ's lead with this.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 13, 2009, 02:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

falcon 1 here i come just going to go back to 1571 and wipe. trim does not make the drive live longer it just makes it so it does not slow all the ssd will have the same life weather falcon 1/2
Old December 13, 2009, 02:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post

My personal preference is how OCZ is handling firmware. One version with TRIM (1.4), another variant with refined ITGC (1.4.1). The latter is what I run as it does not slow things down and starts to clean itself up PDQ during low IO's. Really wish more company's would follow OCZ's lead with this.
me and you both i don't want to have to sell all ny ssd just to buy new one's that have ITGC.
Old December 13, 2009, 08:49 PM
Banned

Sorry Gingerbee but I must disagree with you. TRIM does indeed make the SSD last longer.
Old December 13, 2009, 09:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

trim is wiper on the fly ( kinda like the new controller chips that have it onboard already ) i think it's called self healing
Old December 13, 2009, 09:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

off topic check out some of these bench's on a torqx m28 wow nice numbers. any body else see any more data/info on these ssd like controller maybe Patriot Torqx M28 128GB Solid State Drives - StrafeRight Forums
Old December 14, 2009, 05:30 AM

TRIM doesn't make a SSD last longer, all it does is keep the cells in a virgin state, i.e keeps stuttering from happening. When a file is deleted the OS calls for a TRIM which not only marks the file as deleted but actually deletes it and then re-freshens the cell. One could argue that it is actually harder on the cells...but that is bullocks. There is a discussion ongoing on the merits of ITGC / NL vs Trim, and there is some indication that ITGC is slightly harder on the cells than TRIM, but wiper.exe vs TRIM vs emergency re-freshening = same wear and tear on the cells over the long run.

IIRC The M28s are Bigfoot controller based SSDs just with faster cache. Think of them as Torqx's which have been factory over clocked ;) Very sweet drives....or to use another analogy: the M28s are basically Vertex Turbo's just by a dif mfg'er. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 14, 2009, 06:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I will think i will be buying a torqx m28 instead just for the warranty and speed. just wondering how come no firmware updates? for the m28 and so later on i can use it some where else like maybe a laptop.
Old December 14, 2009, 07:32 AM

Like the Turbo....it needs custom firmware (or it would just run the cache at stock speeds)... which takes time and resources. ;)

Old December 14, 2009, 07:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Like the Turbo....it needs custom firmware (or it would just run the cache at stock speeds)... which takes time and resources. ;)
like i would have to send it in or just wait for them to get to it like the turbo? see know i am thinking i should not try one out ha ha it's time to wait and see i think