Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 22, 2007, 01:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Techgage asks, "Should you buy Vista Ultimate?"

"Vista is right around the corner after years of our incessant waiting. This is not an article to explain why you need Vista, because as it stands nobody "needs" it. In the future, when DirectX 10 and Vista-specific software is commonplace, that will be the time when the move will become more of a requirement. Until then, Vista is just a new version of Windows pimped up with a fresh coat of paint. This is an article to cater to those who -are- going to buy Vista regardless of whether they need it or not.

Although there are 8 different versions (at least), only four are targeted to the regular consumer. Home Basic is the barebones version that doesn't include any of the special extras. Business is targeted for that specific audience but may be of interest to those who want better security but don't require some of the more "fun" add-ons such as Media Center and Solitaire.

In this article though, I will be comparing Ultimate to what will likely be the most common version of Vista, Home Premium. As it stands, Home Premium will retail for $239USD while Ultimate will for $399. This is a huge price differential and the reason I became inspired to write this article. Its no secret... Ultimate is packed. It includes everything the three other versions do, with the addition of BitLocker. But as I examined things, I came to the conclusion that a fair percentage of people who shell out the extra $160 for the Ultimate Edition may not even use most of the extra features that are available"

More @ TechGage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton