Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 20, 2009, 11:41 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Ultra Products X4 - The Latest Generation of the Modular Power Supply

Years ago Ultra Products pioneered the worlds first modular power supply. Following in the footsteps of their success came the X2 and X3 series, with each successive generation further improving on the basic design. Today we are graced with the latest PSU in Ultra's long lineage, the X4.

For many in enthusiast circles cable management has become p... [ Read full article ]
Old October 20, 2009, 11:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Of course ST is the one to post the Ultra PSU news
I've ever used one, but if I ever need a new PSU and the price is right, I want to give them a try. And the sheer number of outputs on that picture are intimidating.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old October 20, 2009, 12:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Someone has to Support the good things they have done recently. Bad blood of the past needs to be forgotten and I think they are slowly earning their way back into consideration with a lot of people.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 20, 2009, 12:48 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Yeah, I'm slightly peaked in interest by the "new" Ultra. I'm still discouraged by their past lack of quality.
Old October 20, 2009, 01:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I think quality/reputation is a problem with any company that tries to cater to both the low-end and enthusiast market, especially in the PSU field. It's very difficult to explain to someone that their $50 600W PSU just isn't going to cut it when the same company has a good name/rep at the high end.

That's where a company like PC P&C used to shine... they didn't produce any lower end units, and thus a person was able to easily recommend them no matter what model was being chosen.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 20, 2009, 01:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm surprised that someone has not come out with this yet, the first thing I thought of when I originally saw a modular PSU was why don't they make all the cables modular?

I'm sorry july, I couldn't see you behind all that feruary.
Old October 20, 2009, 01:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bissa View Post
I'm surprised that someone has not come out with this yet, the first thing I thought of when I originally saw a modular PSU was why don't they make all the cables modular?
There's a couple to my knowledge, but they're usually pretty high up for price. Complete modularity isn't really a big thing for me though, I could deal with only the 24pin/8pin CPU being hardwired, possibly a 6+2pin GPU.
Actually, is there even any reason for complete modularity? You're going to have to use the 24 and 4/8 pin, so why have them modular?
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old October 20, 2009, 05:03 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

These PSUs seem to be a step down from the X3 series based on the reviews that are out there right now. Still decent units, but the performance is nothing special and they're overpriced compared to the competition. At least Ultra decided to stick with Andyson as their high-end OEM even now that Jon Gerow is no longer working there.
Old October 20, 2009, 05:36 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Hopefully their pricing will stabilize in comparision to other units out there. I don't think its a step back however. Gotta wait and see JohnnyGuru put on on his Sunmoon first to make sure they still have the excellent Regulation that Andy OEM units are known for.

The major changes are no more flex force, and now 80 Plus certification which is nice.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 20, 2009, 05:49 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Jon doesn't do PSU reviews any more. Voltage regulation seems to be pretty good, but efficiency is only slightly better than the old X3 units (still not great; not even 80Plus Bronze which is sad for a high-end product), and ripple suppression is quite a bit worse than the old platform.