Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 20, 2009, 05:51 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well the Wolf does it now on the site , same difference really.
I am sure he'll get one. So, we shall see how good it looks when real hardware is hooked up to it.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 20, 2009, 08:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

While I like my X3 1000W, and it was top-tier a couple years ago, these aren't looking all that impressive compared to what else is out there. They don't even have their flex-force cables, which was one those things that set them apart.

A little odd how they still keep the 24-pin cable modular, as the only justification for it that I can think of is to eliminate cable clutter if you're running multiple PSU's. But since their lineup goes right up to 1600W, they wouldn't want to encourage buying multiple smaller PSU's. Also, there are very few situations that would require a second PSU, and those would be very unusual, and require a separate line out of a house's fuse box.
Old October 20, 2009, 10:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
While I like my X3 1000W, and it was top-tier a couple years ago, these aren't looking all that impressive compared to what else is out there. They don't even have their flex-force cables, which was one those things that set them apart.

A little odd how they still keep the 24-pin cable modular, as the only justification for it that I can think of is to eliminate cable clutter if you're running multiple PSU's. But since their lineup goes right up to 1600W, they wouldn't want to encourage buying multiple smaller PSU's. Also, there are very few situations that would require a second PSU, and those would be very unusual, and require a separate line out of a house's fuse box.
Is it 1250W max per outlet? Just wanted to clarify. I could see running two 600-700W PSU's for a power house PC to save a bit on getting something 1200+, but generally yeah it's enough.

My Silverstone Strider 750 had all modular, gotta say I prefer that to my HX1000 having some cables non modular. Just like the looks better.
Old October 20, 2009, 11:01 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCD View Post
Is it 1250W max per outlet? Just wanted to clarify. I could see running two 600-700W PSU's for a power house PC to save a bit on getting something 1200+, but generally yeah it's enough.
It's per circuit. Your typical home circuit is 15A, which translates to about 1800W in general (depending on voltage fluctuations, etc.), although you should only use at most 85% of it on a continuous basis, so about 1500W. A 1200W PSU at maximum load that is 80% efficient will use 1500W, so that's basically your limit. It's pretty hard to reach that kind of power consumption with a single machine though.
Old October 21, 2009, 12:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

God. Ultra. :whis tle:
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old October 21, 2009, 06:02 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I am unsure as to my stance on these new Andy Platforms, it remains to be seen if they were a good move or bad move.
On the positive side at least, the Line-up is expanding. Instead of starting at 850W for the Fully modular ones, they will go all the way down to 500W working their way up in 100W incriments with some 150w incriments inbetween. So at least there is more variety.

I agree that losing the Flex force Cables was a bad move. For anyone who has worked on them they know how easy it is to bend them however you need to when doing cable management.

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 21, 2009, 07:19 AM
MVP
F@H

I just sold my 850W Ultra X3 and I must say that it was an amazing PSU. People can say what they want but it was great. If I still needed that wattage I would never have sold it.

EVGA 680i SLI Motherboard $80 + Qualitas 73GB 10k SCSI $30