Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 19, 2009, 09:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default new intel ssd's [tomshardware]

Intel to Ship Value-Based X25-X SSD in Q4 http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Int...rage,8877.html

I wonder who the partner is (p.s my a-data s592 ssd's say intel in the bios so i wonder? )
A-DATA Technology
Old October 19, 2009, 09:28 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Good find Gingerbee. :)

but FTA "write speeds of up to 40 MB/sec"....ick.

Expected to be 4 bucks a GB for MLC nand (160 USD for 40gb)?!....double ick

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 19, 2009, 09:55 AM

My System Specs

If the drive was around $100 it would be a great OS only drive. If 160USD then that is absolutely awful.
Old October 19, 2009, 10:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
If the drive was around $100 it would be a great OS only drive. If 160USD then that is absolutely awful.
welllll, since 160USD is like 140 CDN now...its almost as good.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old October 19, 2009, 10:42 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

The write speeds on those SSDs will make you want to commit suicide. For sake of mental stability, it's probably better bang for the buck to just fork over a bit more for a Vertex, or a real product from intel, the x25-m g2.
Old October 19, 2009, 11:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayah View Post
The write speeds on those SSDs will make you want to commit suicide. For sake of mental stability, it's probably better bang for the buck to just fork over a bit more for a Vertex, or a real product from intel, the x25-m g2.
I totally agree. Read speeds of 40mb/s, and a price of $150 for (30?) gigs is stupid. Two of these in raid is 300 bucks for 80mb/s...Or a OCZ Vertex 60g for $250 that DESTROYS it? How is that 'value based'?

Yawn product.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old October 19, 2009, 12:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

Actually, I'd bet these things will feel faster than you'd think. You don't hear people complaining about Intel's regular SSD being "only" 70MB/s, and these things will still be packing SSD access times, and more than likely maintain pretty respectful 4K performance as well. Still, $160 isn't particularly inspiring, considering that the 60GB Vertex's can be had for a little more than $200.
Old October 19, 2009, 01:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think the price will have to come down or the performance will have to go up a little. but it puts intel into the under 200$ class ssd market where most of the purchasing is happing. jmo