Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 28, 2009, 05:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Intel's 'Light Peak' Technology achieves 10Gb/s transfer

So I was reading up on tech news and came across a write-up on Intel's 'Light Peak' technology. I've seen this tech rumoured before, but I was surprised to see the actual numbers.

(Taken from Gizmodo, article written 09/23):
Today at IDF, Intel unveiled Light Peak technology, a plan for an extremely high-speed optical cable they hope will land on consumer products in 2010. Imagine transferring an entire Blu-Ray disk in 30 seconds. And that's just the beginning.

In Intel's words:
Existing electrical cable technology in mainstream computing devices is approaching practical limits for speed and length, due to electro-magnetic interference (EMI) and other issues. However, optical technology, used extensively in data centers and telecom communications, does not have these limitations since it transmits data using light instead of electricity. Light Peak brings this optical technology to mainstream computing and consumer electronic devices in a cost-effective manner.
Light Peak delivers 10Gb/s speeds right now, and could conceivably go as fast as 100Gb/s within a decade or so. Those kinds of speeds are even sustained over a 100-meter distance, which is really impressive. Intel is currently working with hardware manufacturers (computers, handhelds, etc) to try to get the optical tech onto devices sometime in 2010.

(Original source: Intel)

Now, this technology is supposed to ship by 2010. And we have no hardware that can even come close to taking advantage of it at the moment. (Especially in the optical drive department they use as an example.) But this certainly bodes well for the future of solid state drives, and other technology pushing the boundaries of speed. It'll be interesting to see if this becomes a new standard, or just a platform to set the stage for several mediums.
Old September 28, 2009, 05:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

from what I've heard its actually an Apple proposed concept, and is expect on the Fall 2010 updates of macs.

And for the most part USB 3.0 is fast enough for harddrives, and even SSDs for the most part, there is no external use for it
Old September 28, 2009, 08:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

They _really_ _really_ need to pair the optical cabling with 4 wires. 12v, 5v, 3.3v and ground. Also need to let you carry a decent amount of current over em. That way our devices would not need two cables going to them, data and power. You could run your 3.5" HDD/SSD off a single cable! Sure you can squeak a 2.5" by on USB if you use two ports, FireWire is awesome in this regard but light peak could beat the piss out of them both if it had a good amount of power supplied along with the data in one connector.
Old September 28, 2009, 08:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

yes, power is probably more important than speed for future connectors, would be so nice to be able to plug in my external harddrive without having to bother finding a spare power plug.
Old January 11, 2011, 05:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

yes it's an old thread and i am too trusting of the source but here some more info on it http://www.tomshardware.com/news/cop...ter,11960.html

If it's using copper does this not mean it will be limited quite a bit by said copper connections ??
Old January 11, 2011, 10:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What the hell? So what is the point if it is not optical? We have plenty of copper crap already. -_-
Starting out with copper then transitioning to optical will hurt adoption! People and mfgers are going to go: "bugger this, I am going to use USB/eSATA because I know my shit will still work with it later on."

I want to know what is really at play here. It appears to be quite fishy.