Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Press Releases & Tech News (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/press-releases-tech-news/)
-   -   First we saw fake hardware reviews... now fake software ones??? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/press-releases-tech-news/2366-first-we-saw-fake-hardware-reviews-now-fake-software-ones.html)

sswilson August 23, 2007 10:19 PM

First we saw fake hardware reviews... now fake software ones???
 
Got a bit of a kick out of this......

The software awards scam Successful Software

Take the whole premise with as large a grain of salt as you wish, but it does point to questionable practices in some quarters. :)

magictorch August 24, 2007 06:56 AM

if only-
 
the peer review process in Ecology were like this..life would be so much easier! Although the pharmaceutical industry has got this down to a fine art- prophylactic tablet twice a day for the rest of your life:sad:

SKYMTL August 24, 2007 07:31 AM

I would like to see some of those fake hardware reviews you mentioned. I need a laugh on a Friday.

sswilson August 24, 2007 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 18042)
I would like to see some of those fake hardware reviews you mentioned. I need a laugh on a Friday.

Heh.... I misspoke.....

They weren't "fake" hardware reviews I was thinking of, I was thinking of the stink over sites that promised more space for more advertising money.

The only "fake" reviews I can think of were the ones on the R600 vid cards before they were released... there were some dodgy looking pics out there... :)

SKYMTL August 24, 2007 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 18044)
They weren't "fake" hardware reviews I was thinking of, I was thinking of the stink over sites that promised more space for more advertising money.

Now there I agree with you. It often bothers me when I see a site which will post a review and then change the advertiser on their main page the exact same day. It goe ssomething like this:

Day 1:
Review of XFX GPU
Banner for XFX featured prominently on the site

Day 2:
Review of Asus Mobo
Banner for Asus featured prominently on the site

Day 3:
Review of OCZ PSU
Banner for OCZ featured prominently on the site


To me that smacks of the site asking the manufacturer for advertising money in order for them to review the product. That pretty much eliminates the chance of an unbiased review.

You will also see that on many sites their main advertisers get very positive reviews while their secondary advertisers don't. I have a list here that I complied for over a year of two large review websites and the patterns are pretty shocking. I won't name names but I was VERY disappointed.

arbb5 August 24, 2007 09:03 AM

Like the article over at DailyTech - Pay to Play: Uncovering Online Payola
Very interesting read for those who hadn't already.

magictorch August 24, 2007 09:42 AM

niceone
 
good article..and one hell of an OC on your vidcard!!

arbb5 August 24, 2007 10:50 AM

That is one of the great things about HC's reviews- they are never sugar coated and go to great detail to give the readers what they want, the good the bad and the accurate.....:thumb:

Quote:

Originally Posted by magictorch (Post 18053)
.and one hell of an OC on your vidcard!!

TY magictorch, I have never had a problem with the GTO, if you are looking at the clocks on 3dmark it is wrong, shows up as 750 when it is actually 700, but I have pushed it to 720 and no probs other then heat:censored:

Amon August 24, 2007 11:34 AM

Where are the fake hardware reviews that everyone's talking about?

sswilson August 24, 2007 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 18046)
Now there I agree with you. It often bothers me when I see a site which will post a review and then change the advertiser on their main page the exact same day. It goe ssomething like this:

Day 1:
Review of XFX GPU
Banner for XFX featured prominently on the site

Day 2:
Review of Asus Mobo
Banner for Asus featured prominently on the site

Day 3:
Review of OCZ PSU
Banner for OCZ featured prominently on the site


To me that smacks of the site asking the manufacturer for advertising money in order for them to review the product. That pretty much eliminates the chance of an unbiased review.

You will also see that on many sites their main advertisers get very positive reviews while their secondary advertisers don't. I have a list here that I complied for over a year of two large review websites and the patterns are pretty shocking. I won't name names but I was VERY disappointed.

I'm not convinced that those ads are being changed by the site admin themselves.... could it not be something like a "google ad" that changes to reflect keywords found on the page?

Amon:

The "fake hardware reviews" that I was actually thinking of weren't "fake" (I blame my bad memory on age.... :) ), the "sting" was based on a fake company promising more ad revenue for more review content....

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/revie...techsites.html

As far as the R600 review go... you'll have to do some googling to see if you can find them (look for early pre-release reviews). There were a couple of sites putting up pictures & #'s which appeared to be pure fiction.... :)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:27 AM.