Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 26, 2009, 06:24 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
and the lack of response from Nvidia or ATI could be taken either way.
They are either scared shitless about the potential money loss or happy that customers who could not afford twice the exact same card will jump on this opportunity to upgrade to a new card and keep their old one, always upgrading the older of the 2.
Old September 26, 2009, 06:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

or it means that more people will consider buying more then 1 card so sales go up for both
Old September 26, 2009, 06:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Haha, I've been a little behind with news these days. I first thought this was for Starcraft 2 and that there was a new release date announced for it.

Anyway, this looks pretty epic. I'd definitely get my hands on it when it's released.
Old September 26, 2009, 07:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
or it means that more people will consider buying more then 1 card so sales go up for both
You'd think so, but remember how long Nvidia restricted SLI to their own chipsets, even after it was verified that the NF200 wasn't actually needed, and that the restriction was nothing more than an artificially-coded one.
Old September 27, 2009, 05:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
You'd think so, but remember how long Nvidia restricted SLI to their own chipsets, even after it was verified that the NF200 wasn't actually needed, and that the restriction was nothing more than an artificially-coded one.
youi got me there forgot about that one damn!
Old September 27, 2009, 06:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Here's another article WITH video!

PC Perspective - Lucid HYDRA Multi-GPU Technology Launches - End of SLI and CrossFire?

Basically it speaks DirectX language, and splits the data between the cards for maximum performance. He doesn't say whether the chip can be upgraded to read newer DirectX language, but hopefully it will have DX11 at the start, since you NEED Windows 7 to use this.

Now, honestly if this does actually work, I can see them making huge amounts of profit, along with Nvidia and AMD chipping in some money because they can then get rid of their SLI and Crossfire technology, and offset the DirectX/OpenGL multi-GPU updates to this third party. Not only that, but I'm pretty sure if this adopted CUDA and Stream somewhere down the road, we'd see some fairly massive folding opportunities!

People, slam your wallets shut for the next several weeks and wait for some reviews! This is a new era in the making!

Last edited by bojangles; September 27, 2009 at 06:48 AM.