Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 22, 2009, 11:14 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Default AMD Confirms Release of Six-Core Desktop Processors for 2010

Well it looks like our original report that AMD would be releasing desktop six-core processors in 2010, was not nearly as far off the mark as some speculated.

Attempting to hopefully steal a bit of the spotlight from Intel's IDF conference announcements, AMD officially stated that they are on track to debut the 45nm "Thuban" hexacore processors a... [ Read full article ]
Old September 22, 2009, 11:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

Nice. Hopefully this is a competitively priced part against intel's offerings. Otherwise, I don't see it getting much attention.

Old September 22, 2009, 11:23 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Intel's pricing is always out to lunch... HOPEFULLY AMD takes advantage of that like they initially did with their Phenom II lineup
Old September 22, 2009, 11:27 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Intel could charge $2000 for an i9 and some dumbass somewhere will still buy it due to all of Intel's market fixing/other BS. That's what happens when your forcibly skew the market in your favor.

VIA should start making multi-core processors, with a socket (not embedded) and higher clock speeds. Screw efficiency, it's nice being super-green and all, but it's only got them what? A 5% market share (if that much...)?
Old September 22, 2009, 11:37 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
got them what? A 5% market share (if that much...)?
Sounds about right. Intel @ 82%+-, AMD @ 8%+- so 10% left over for all others.
Old September 22, 2009, 01:40 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Intel could charge $2000 for an i9 and some dumbass somewhere will still buy it due to all of Intel's market fixing/other BS.
The other BS that made me buy Intel was the better product part.

I thought I read somewhere Intel's 6 core was going to be around the $1000 mark....hell I thought that was out to lunch.

Last edited by r0bc; September 22, 2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old September 22, 2009, 02:12 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bc View Post
The other BS that made me buy Intel was the better product part.
Smart, eh?

Then again, why not think a little logically? Intel has been playing dirty for a long time. As such, they have a massive chunk of the market (80% or so as stated by FiXT). So the means, in fact, that they have at least 4x the revenue of AMD. Now just imagine what AMD could do if they hadn't been screwed over by Intel, and had that much funding. Imagine it. Actual innovation, not rehashes of old architectures with old technologies just using higher clocks & die shinks.
Old September 22, 2009, 02:33 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Oooh, that's got potential.
Must .. get rid .. of intel set up soon ...
Plus it's got compatibility with older chipsets, so i can pick up a cheaper AM2+ board off here, and pop in my DDR2, and let me e-peen grow as i sport hexacores.
Heck yes, AMD you are full of win.
Old September 22, 2009, 04:01 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

CMetaphor Its clear where you stand buy reading your posts and I can respect that to a point but you see I also use Microsoft products and it don't bother me at all but I'm guessing you don't. Way to go.

Yes Intel plays dirty. All successful company's do it hell AMD has sponsored a certain site that writes crap about Nvidia, is that not dirty?. AMD would do the same thing Intel's doing if it could ..... and they well when they get a chance.

I'm sure a couple people in this forum will be buying the 6 core Intel's and although there going to be what we think is overpriced I wouldn't call them dumbasses.

Old September 22, 2009, 04:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bc View Post
I also use Microsoft products and it don't bother me at all but I'm guessing you don't. Way to go.
Wait... What??

How does this have anything to do with anything?

Last edited by Cowboy; September 22, 2009 at 04:29 PM.