Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 21, 2009, 06:15 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
It's not because I'm an AMD fanboy (I've said this many times before) but that I believe in competition and innovation. With Intel fixing the market the way they do, we consumers get less of both.

If VIA ever comes out with a desktop processor that can do more that word-processing/htpc/internet use I'll buy from them as well.
"Support the little guy!"
I fully agree, though looking at my build most of it isn't from the little guy, but come upgrade time , AMD will have my support.
We as consumers have to be responsible in allowing stimulation in the economy as well.
It's not AMD doesn't sell good CPU's, that you all have to get Intel's, because AMD offers some damn good offerings now.
Old September 21, 2009, 06:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would love to believe that every dominant company out there plays fair and level, but comon guys. ALL Dominant companies are dominant for a reason. They all do this garbage. Is it right? No. Is this or any similar actions going to solve it either, however? Not in the least.

(And I wont even point out the relation to this whole conversation and the similarities to Oil practices...)
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old September 21, 2009, 07:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, EC have tell what they want to tell. But, the only good thing to do instead of saying intel hey yo give us money, is to make intel give money to AMD, witch will be able to use them in research and development and make a strike back in the market. Go AMD!

Ask for more.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old September 21, 2009, 07:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
My personal feelings regarding the Microsoft witch hunt do mimic yours mo'power,
and initially I felt similar about the Intel case, HOWEVER after reading this press report about exactly WHAT Intel did, and the proof provided by companies such as HP, Dell and Acer, regarding the enormous kickbacks they received for not selling AMD products, I unquestionably have to side with the EC.

Reading between the lines, you will notice that even giant corporations such as HP were desperate about the amount of money they would loose by not agreeing. Yes, it is a dog eat dog world, and he who has the money has the power, but such underhanded tactics is a disgusting display competition.
I agree with you in part. However, if HP, Dell and Acer have a beef with Intel, then they should launch a lawsuit directly against the Intel Corporation in a court of law. They have the means to do so. Afaik, these are all north american corporations and all legal matters pertaining to these corporations should be fought and judged in north american courts. That way, the settlements would go directly to the plaintiffs insted of who knows where. The EC thugs should have little or nothing to do with this process let alone be throwing hundreds of millions of dollars in fines at corporations. It's just my opinion, but I think this commission wields way to much power and does not represent European citizens or consumers but it's own interests.

What I believe we are seeing here is just an opening salvo by the EU/EC. Once you bash the heads of the biggest players and win, there will be no protection whatsoever for smaller corporations. It'll be either play by EC rules or you don't play (unless you pay these massive fines and modify what you're selling to meet their demands) Stay tuned folks, I'm positive we'll be seeing much more of this in the near future.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old September 21, 2009, 09:13 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
ALL Dominant companies are dominant for a reason. They all do this garbage.
Thats a fact....to some extent they do.

This isn't Intel's first antitrust case,they settled with the FTC back in 99 but this one does seem more serious.
Nothing about it really shocks me though, I think for company's this size its just a part of doing business.
It won't effect my purchasing decisions either, when AMD makes the better product I'll buy it.

Old September 21, 2009, 10:45 PM
MVP

My System Specs

However, if HP, Dell and Acer have a beef with Intel, then they should launch a lawsuit directly against the Intel Corporation in a court of law. They have the means to do so. Afaik, these are all north american corporations and all legal matters pertaining to these corporations should be fought and judged in north american courts.

A lawsuit against Intel would never be launched in a North American Court. They wield too much power over here.
And neither of those corporations had a beef with Intel, they didn't suffer from it. The only ones suffering is Us, paying more for less.

Now lets see if some of the money is going to AMD or if the fat EU commissioners are just getting a little more fat.
Old September 22, 2009, 12:33 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo' power View Post
I agree with you in part. However, if HP, Dell and Acer have a beef with Intel, then they should launch a lawsuit directly against the Intel Corporation in a court of law. They have the means to do so. .
As mentioned, they didn't really have a problem with it, they were subpoenaed and required to provide information on the case.

AMD had a problem with it and they have launched lawsuits/requested investigations in a majority of the countries where the two companies are competitors, including Japan, Korean, the EU, and I believe the USA but that one is still working its way through the courts and will for years to come. So far I believe Intel has been found "guilty" in every country that the investigation on this particular matter has been concluded in.

In the end it us the citizens who pay the biggest price:

Costly lawsuit for Intel + 1.5b fine = Higher cost on products
Government headed investigation = tax dollars at work