Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 2, 2009, 05:51 AM
Rookie

I hardly feel an apologize is necessary, if you get so bent out of shape by a few words on the internet, then really how have you survived this long?
I havent been a member here long and really haven't been to active for a loooong time now, really just came here to share the news.
EVGA gtx285 (single for now)
Patriot Viper PC3 12800 3x2gb
WD 500gb 7200rpm
WD raptorx 150gb 10000rpm
Corsair 1000HX
Vista Ultimate 64bit
Klipsch pro media 2.1 speakers
Old September 2, 2009, 06:27 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Forgive me all if I'm way off here... But follow along with Meta for a second: 7x PCIe x16 slots... Start from the highest one and insert double-slot cards all the way to the down. If you get the required 9 or 10 slot case, then what's to stop you from installing a double-slot card on the very bottom (7th) slot and let it overhang the bottom edge of the motherboard? I don't understand why everyone is stating 3x dual-slot card and 1x single-slot... The board won't fit in a standard ATX case anyways, lol.

And I still say its small....

@Chilly: Give it a rest my friend. They'll probably never make a Xeon/Opteron board that can OC easily. Otherwise it wouldn't be a challenge .

EDIT:
Laff @ the 40mm fan on the NB... the whole thing looks like a P3/Slot 1 combo. Now THAT would be one hell of a bottleneck, lol. But still, 40mm fans = noise w/ high RPMs to do anything OR = useless and should be replaced with a spotcool... lol.

Last edited by CMetaphor; September 2, 2009 at 06:33 AM.
Old September 2, 2009, 06:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by voklskier4452 View Post
I hardly feel an apologize is necessary, if you get so bent out of shape by a few words on the internet, then really how have you survived this long?
I havent been a member here long and really haven't been to active for a loooong time now, really just came here to share the news.

Its not a matter of getting bent out of shape. Its keeping our community respectable and a desired place to go. Calling people idiots/stupid/etc (paraphrasing, but still) rather then helping someone out does nothing but make that person want to go elsewhere. Thats not what the community here wants. Take this post for example. I could have just flamed the crap out of you, but its a lot nice just to talk about it, and explain why RJ and encorp didnt feel it was necessary to belittle someone. On top of that, flaming people rarely gets the desired effect of fixing a problem...unless you're desired effect is trolling.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old September 2, 2009, 07:39 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Forgive me all if I'm way off here... But follow along with Meta for a second: 7x PCIe x16 slots... Start from the highest one and insert double-slot cards all the way to the down. If you get the required 9 or 10 slot case, then what's to stop you from installing a double-slot card on the very bottom (7th) slot and let it overhang the bottom edge of the motherboard? I don't understand why everyone is stating 3x dual-slot card and 1x single-slot... The board won't fit in a standard ATX case anyways, lol.

And I still say its small....

@Chilly: Give it a rest my friend. They'll probably never make a Xeon/Opteron board that can OC easily. Otherwise it wouldn't be a challenge .

EDIT:
Laff @ the 40mm fan on the NB... the whole thing looks like a P3/Slot 1 combo. Now THAT would be one hell of a bottleneck, lol. But still, 40mm fans = noise w/ high RPMs to do anything OR = useless and should be replaced with a spotcool... lol.
Unless I am mistaken they were referring to the original classy when talking about 3xdual cards and 1 single.. as for the slot layout here is how it works:

PCI-E x16 1 : x16/x8
PCI-E x16 2 : 0/x8
PCI-E x16 3 : x16/x8
PCI-E x16 4 : 0/x8
PCI-E x16 5 : x16/x8
PCI-E x16 6 : 0/x8
PCI-E x16 7 : x16

2 NF200 chips utilized [warm], hence the fan on the NB HS. For 4 way SLI use slots 1,3,5,7 so they will all be x16, if you start using the other slots then the 1 next to it becomes x8.
EVGA gtx285 (single for now)
Patriot Viper PC3 12800 3x2gb
WD 500gb 7200rpm
WD raptorx 150gb 10000rpm
Corsair 1000HX
Vista Ultimate 64bit
Klipsch pro media 2.1 speakers
Old September 9, 2009, 08:49 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

To have enough 6-pin PCI-E Connectors for 4 GTX-285 Classified Video Card. You would need to use a Silverstone ST-1500 Watt PSU and 4 Molex to 6-pin Connectors. And the Case would be the Lian-Li PC-80.

Last edited by grifter11; September 9, 2009 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Did some research
Old September 9, 2009, 09:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

oops, I didn't see this thread.... I did a search and everything
Old September 9, 2009, 10:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifter11 View Post
To have enough 6-pin PCI-E Connectors for 4 GTX-285 Classified Video Card. You would need to use a Silverstone ST-1500 Watt PSU and 4 Molex to 6-pin Connectors. And the Case would be the Lian-Li PC-80.
Doesn't make sense tbh...a 295 needs an 8 and 6 pin, yet this new 285 needs 3x6?
Old September 9, 2009, 11:05 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCD View Post
Doesn't make sense tbh...a 295 needs an 8 and 6 pin, yet this new 285 needs 3x6?
the 3x6 is for when idiots like myself throw a pot on the card and run it at 1200MHz+ under LN2. to prevent us from having to cap/inductor/PWM mod the card to run higher clocks.

this card is the child of one of the best overclocker's on the planet Peter Tan AKA Shamino. adding the third 6 pin was a nice touch as it means the cards PWM will never be starved of power from the PSU...again, in these extremely rare sub-zero balls to the wall scenarios. the PWM may or may not need all three to always be connected, i honestly haven't been following, but the way the PWM is setup it may need all three all the time, even though it is complete overkill of 99% of the users that will be running these cards.

they have designed these cards for a specific purpose but added enough cool stuff to appeal to every day users who just have to have the best...just don't forget their true purpose when questioning some of the design aspects.
Old September 9, 2009, 03:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post
the 3x6 is for when idiots like myself throw a pot on the card and run it at 1200MHz+ under LN2. to prevent us from having to cap/inductor/PWM mod the card to run higher clocks.

this card is the child of one of the best overclocker's on the planet Peter Tan AKA Shamino. adding the third 6 pin was a nice touch as it means the cards PWM will never be starved of power from the PSU...again, in these extremely rare sub-zero balls to the wall scenarios. the PWM may or may not need all three to always be connected, i honestly haven't been following, but the way the PWM is setup it may need all three all the time, even though it is complete overkill of 99% of the users that will be running these cards.

they have designed these cards for a specific purpose but added enough cool stuff to appeal to every day users who just have to have the best...just don't forget their true purpose when questioning some of the design aspects.
Ya I think they did that so they could sell more. If they made this only for the extreme overclockers then it would not sell that many. So in order to gain some profit they try to sell it to multiple groups but it is truly for overclockers.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."