Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 31, 2009, 09:07 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Samsung LN55B650 55" HDTV Review Comment Thread

With the face of HDTV technology changing at a break-neck pace, it is nearly impossible for most consumers to keep up. The latest generation of TVs promise not only vastly improved picture quality and some mind-bending contrast ratios but huge power savings as well. The LN55B650 from Samsung promises all these things and more. But can it deliver?... [ Read full article ]

Please use this thread to post your questions and comments.

Enjoy!!
Old August 31, 2009, 09:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Very Cool, but i wish you guys could do some reviews on smaller sized LCD tvs coz many ppl use them as monitors.
Otherwise GOOD JOB:)

-Plato
Old August 31, 2009, 09:28 PM

I will probably be concentrating on some of those once I wade through the present backlog.
Old August 31, 2009, 10:00 PM
Top Prospect

Wow that looks a fine piece of tv but the cost is necking breaking lol
GPU: PowerColour HD 4890 Xfire
PSU: Corsair HX850
Case: CMD690

Old August 31, 2009, 11:07 PM
Allstar
F@H

Nice review. Only thing I really have to say about it is that I actually think game mode would make a better gaming experience due to better contrast. To me the first shot shows really crisper textures and models with some added noise, where as the second shot seems flat and overly blurred. The change in contrast in the background would also help a gamer immeasurably, especially snipers, as it would be much easier to spot movement, and therefore, threats and targets. While it definitely does seem to add a fair amount of noise, I think the improved contrast would outweigh the decrease in quality for any multiplayer gamer that wants the edge. But of course, it is really hard to tell just how bad that noise would be when only given a photo of the screen. How about you send it over to me and I'll get back to you on how game mode really feels!
Old September 1, 2009, 05:17 AM

Contrast in gamer mode is really no different versus a situation where the TV is calibrated especially for gaming. Even though it may look like things are "sharper", what you are actually seeing is a slight pixelation that happens when the processing overhead is cut down.
Old September 1, 2009, 08:57 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Nice review SKYMTL. Nice to see the depth of info here. You put a number of monitor reviews to shame outside of hardcore Delta E94 colour info.

It looks like you put a fair bit of time tweaking and messing with the settings. You noticed the typical S-PVA panel washout at horizontal viewing angles, which is something a lot of reviewers miss. This is also a problem with Samsung's S-PVA monitors. My brother-in-law's A750 suffers from this too. Did you notice any dark-on-dark motion blurring when trying out KillZone? I find this is another weakness with their S-PVA stuff, though better lately.

Gaming mode shuts off the Post processing to eliminate input lag, but it seems like there is a lot of post processing occurring without it and it really ruins picture quality. Add that to the sheer size, and mostly 720p games, and I could see why you hate it :)

JCmaz: Even a 32" version of this particular TV wouldn't be that desirable as a PC monitor due to the glossy treatment. LG and Panasonic or Sharp has some 32" TVs with matte coatings that might work better in this regard. This is what turned me off from using the Panasonic 32LZ800 as a monitor, and it's probably the most "monitor friendly" TV of recent years. It's not a big deal with small displays, but once you get to this width and sheer size, you'd be surprised by HOW MUCH reflection you can get if not in a dark room with limited lighting behind you.

Last edited by 10e; September 1, 2009 at 09:03 AM.
Old September 1, 2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10e View Post
It looks like you put a fair bit of time tweaking and messing with the settings. You noticed the typical S-PVA panel washout at horizontal viewing angles, which is something a lot of reviewers miss. This is also a problem with Samsung's S-PVA monitors.
I didn't put this in the review but a number of people have reported that the 640 and 650 series TVs have a few AUO panels lumped in the the Samsungs...

Quote:
Did you notice any dark-on-dark motion blurring when trying out KillZone? I find this is another weakness with their S-PVA stuff, though better lately.
Not in Killzone or any other game for that matter other than some light on dark blurring in LBP. However, the issue you are talking about did come up when viewing an upscaled signal from a PS2.

As a side note, there is NO WAY that I would use this TV as a PC monitor. Granted, I did have a PC hooked up to it but that was only used for my GF to talk to her family over Skype.
Old September 1, 2009, 10:57 AM
Allstar
F@H

Hey look, naked news is on! We all know what skymtl was using this set for after the review.

(On the sd upscaling page in the guide btw lol)
Mobo: ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe
Memory: 4gb OCZ Platinum 1000mhz ddr2
Graphics: 2x Sapphire 4830s in Crossfire
Keyboard: Logitech G11
Mouse: Logitech G9
HD:WD 640gb Caviar Black + 750gb Seagate
#hardwarecanucks on irc.enterthegame.com
Old September 1, 2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonwall View Post
Hey look, naked news is on! We all know what skymtl was using this set for after the review.

(On the sd upscaling page in the guide btw lol)
Hence why I needed upscaling.