Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 27, 2009, 11:12 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Default OCZ Releases the Agility EX, An Affordable SLC-Based SSD

OCZ Technology has unveiled the OCZ Agility EX Series which makes SLC (single-level cell) NAND-based storage truly affordable in a solid state drive for the first time. The Agility EX provides the best of both worlds ?the performance and advantages of SLC NAND technology at an incredible value. Based on the quality Indilinx controller, the Agility... [ Read full article ]
Old August 27, 2009, 11:13 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

For those not following thoroughly enough with the world of SSD'd

What kind of performance does SLC make over MLC?
Old August 27, 2009, 11:14 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

*coughripoffcough*

Just get the Corsair P series, or even better, the X's (I have an X64 and couldn't be happier with the performance it's added to my little laptop).

Edit:
FiXT changed his post... couldnt quote him in time, oh well. I stand by my statement. lol
Old August 27, 2009, 11:29 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
*coughripoffcough*

Just get the Corsair P series, or even better, the X's (I have an X64 and couldn't be happier with the performance it's added to my little laptop).

Edit:
FiXT changed his post... couldnt quote him in time, oh well. I stand by my statement. lol
heh ya I did. I didn't even read the PR didn't realize that these drives were a more "expensive" SLC vs. the Corsair which is MLC

Figured I would find out the difference before I went around bashing the nearly triple price tag of the OCZ vs. Corsair
Old August 27, 2009, 11:47 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

All you need to know:
http://www.supertalent.com/datasheet...whitepaper.pdf
Old August 27, 2009, 11:50 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The BIG dif was write speeds as MLC is slower, but that is no longer a big a deal with the newer generation of MLC ssds. The big dif is still LONGEVITY. SLC = 100,000 write cycles per cell. MLC = 10,000 write cycles per cell. Even this it not as big as it sounds as 10k with modern wear algorithms is enough for years and years of daily use. IMHO SLC = server environment MLC= Home.

With all that being said I would LOVE to see this in a head to head competition between it and the SLC version of the Vertex!

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; August 27, 2009 at 12:02 PM.