Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 21, 2009, 10:14 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Default Patriot Releases G Series Sector 5 Memory for Upcoming P55

Patriot Memory today announced the release of their new Sector 5 Gaming modules explicitly designed to compliment Intel's new P55 chipset.Specifically engineered for the new P55 chipset, the Sector 5 gaming modules have been optimized to take full advantage of the dual-channel architecture. Patriot's Sector 5 series will include two options; an e... [ Read full article ]
Old August 21, 2009, 10:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
the Sector 5 gaming modules have been optimized to take full advantage of the dual-channel architecture.

We have had dual channel for how long, and patriot JUST decided to 'optimize' it?

Sounds like more marketing hype to me.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 21, 2009, 11:09 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post

We have had dual channel for how long, and patriot JUST decided to 'optimize' it?

Sounds like more marketing hype to me.
I think this is the first dual channel ddr3 kit I've seen.. Not everyone can afford buying a tri-channel, and neither does P55 support it, so they have to make something for P55 users...
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old August 21, 2009, 11:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
I think this is the first dual channel ddr3 kit I've seen.. Not everyone can afford buying a tri-channel, and neither does P55 support it, so they have to make something for P55 users...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the X38 and P35 chipsets were both capable of supporting DDR3 dual-channel, which were manufactured a long time ago...

Biostar TP35D3-A7 Deluxe Intel P35 DDR3 Motherboard Review - PCSTATS.com
ASUS P5E3 Mobo X38 and DDR3 is here Introduction :: TweakTown
Old August 21, 2009, 11:40 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

miggs is right in a sense

Dual channel enthusiast DDR3 was few and far between up until this month. This kit by Patriot is only one of a handul.

Corsair for instance, did not start to produce any mid-range-high end dual channel kits until very recently, what they produced before was somewhat difficult to get and always low stock.

In fact I believe their Dominator GT (premiere ram lineup) is still triple channel only (for now)
Old August 21, 2009, 04:55 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
miggs is right in a sense

Dual channel enthusiast DDR3 was few and far between up until this month. This kit by Patriot is only one of a handul.

Corsair for instance, did not start to produce any mid-range-high end dual channel kits until very recently, what they produced before was somewhat difficult to get and always low stock.

In fact I believe their Dominator GT (premiere ram lineup) is still triple channel only (for now)
Nope, there is a 4GB DDR3 kit of those GTs.

techPowerUp! News :: Corsair Launches Full Range of DDR3 Memory for Core i5 and Core i7 Lynnfield CPUs
Old August 21, 2009, 05:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_E View Post
People read man..
Quote:
Friday, August 21 2009
.. That article was also posted today.. meaning Corsair just launched it also..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old August 21, 2009, 05:50 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_E View Post

Nice catch, though technically my comment came few hours before the PR was released so at the time my comment was true

Now... I'm just a liar
Old August 21, 2009, 05:52 PM

There were LOTS of 4GB kits. No one cared because they were expensive and offered no benefit to LGA775 CPUs.

Everyone is launching NEW "optimized" kits because instead of a P45, X48, or 790i platform, we're looking at a Nehalem platform now. That means 1.65V so all of those old kits go out the window since they were specced for up to 2.0V.

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old August 21, 2009, 06:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

eh.

Its still one and the same. 1.65v DDR3. So they wernt releasing them in 2xSize packages. There isnt any 'tweaking' needed to use an i7 kit and just not use 1 stick. I'm sure Patriot just took 2 i7 kits, and split it into three packagage. VOILA! i5 kits! Give me a break.

The 'optimization' claim is still just smoke and mirrors.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about