Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 27, 2009, 11:42 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Default Microsoft Looks To Offer Multiple Browsers in European Versions of Windows 7

As reported back in June 2009, the EU is pursing an investigationof allegedMicrosoft anti-trust violations surrounding the use of Internet Explorer in their Windows operating systems.As a result Microsoft chose to completely eliminate IE from their upcoming release of Windows 7 in Europe. Upon release, this is guaranteed to leave untold numbers of ... [ Read full article ]
Old July 27, 2009, 11:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think it's a great idea. They should do it for all versions of Win7 IMHO. It really lets the user have the best user experience by expanding their horizons beyond Microsoft products.
Old July 27, 2009, 11:51 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Please microsoft let IE die, just stick to OSs and the office suites
Old July 27, 2009, 11:53 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Meh - I actually like IE8

I prefer it over Firefox 3.5 (what a sh!tfest that is)

Chrome is still my primary, but for things Chrome craps out on, IE8 is my backup. Firefox I only use when I need a specific plugin that is has.

With 68%+ of the browsing population using IE, its obviously not that bad, otherwise alternatives would be MUCH more popular than they are.
Old July 27, 2009, 11:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That, or people are too lazy to actually go find an alternative. Just like today's Adobe Reader thread...
Old July 27, 2009, 11:58 AM
F@H

My System Specs

FiXT, what percentage of people know how to either use their computer properly or effective use their computer other then for web browsing and legally/illegally downloading? Just from small personal knowledge from working at best buy, 95% of all the customers i dealt with use IE because they don't know how to use their computer properly or effective use their computer. So i think that stat of 68% of the browsing population is rather skewed.
Old July 27, 2009, 12:00 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
Meh - I actually like IE8

With 68%+ of the browsing population using IE, its obviously not that bad, otherwise alternatives would be MUCH more popular than they are.
It's pretty much the same percentage of people that have zero knowledge in computers.

Old July 27, 2009, 12:22 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
FiXT, what percentage of people know how to either use their computer properly or effective use their computer other then for web browsing and legally/illegally downloading? Just from small personal knowledge from working at best buy, 95% of all the customers i dealt with use IE because they don't know how to use their computer properly or effective use their computer. So i think that stat of 68% of the browsing population is rather skewed.

Website statistics, web analytics, hit counter - HitsLink

Bit less than 68% actually - appears to have gone down from the last time I checked.

Here's the thing - If people aren't familiar with the other browsers on the list, the likelihood of them choosing an ALTERNATIVE browser during OS installation is unlikely. = Choice, IE

Anyone who is going to choose a different browser from the ballot box, is also equally as likely to go an install it separately once they finish the installation. Choice, Not IE

A majority of OEM's are going to install IE as well, because a majority their consumers are familiar with it. As well, it eliminates them having to train techs to deal with alternatives browsers. Choice, IE

Most business will continue to use IE because it means training their staff and techs to only use the one browser, networks are configured to utilize it and it is easy. Choice, IE

If people are comfortable using it, then why not let them. It is unlikely that they will be swayed to something else anyways. If it is as bad as people make it out to be, consumers will seek out an alternative - but so far IE still retains a majority in the browser stake.

IE is hated because people dislike the "monoply", not because it is a poor piece of software.

Like I said - I quite prefer IE8 and I consider myself quite astute when it comes to the computing world.

Last edited by FiXT; July 27, 2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old July 27, 2009, 12:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

While I am no fan of IE the truth of the matter is most users will end up installing it anyways, just wait and see. Most people have no clue about FF, Chrome or anything else. This anti-trust in Europe is a joke.

Although if I was MS, I like the idea of not including any browser with the OS lol. *scratches head*

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old July 27, 2009, 12:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
That, or people are too lazy to actually go find an alternative. Just like today's Adobe Reader thread...
It has nothing to do with being lazy. Not everyone wants to be computer wiz or geek and spend their time trying to figure out what's "good" considering most of that is purely subjective anyways. They just want it to work and that's that.

Just like a car. Do I change the oil myself or go and hunt down the best part for a carburetor or whatever. No because I could care less. I just want it to work and I just take it to the garage and pay the bill when it needs work. I don't have time to be an expert mechanic and run my life too. I have other things that are more important to me.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE