Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 21, 2009, 12:20 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Default Mushkin Looks to Produce ATI Graphics Cards

A few weeks ago, word hit the wire that Mushkin was prepping to release NVIDIA based graphics cards. Well as it turns out, the company plans to dip into both ends of the pool and appears to be scheduling to also debut ATI based GPUs.While full details are not available, the company did allude to the ATI release when they launched the NVIDIA Ultimat... [ Read full article ]
Old July 21, 2009, 12:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Dear Lord! The cooling solution on that card is HIDEOUS! With so many brands to choose from, that's a deal breaker right there...
Old July 21, 2009, 12:43 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Arctic Cooling budget heatsink.

Probably will be EU only; much like their Nvidia cards and their SSDs.
Old July 21, 2009, 12:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Wow that has to be one of the dumbest/most hideous stock cooling solution i've ever seen
Old July 21, 2009, 12:58 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

AC actually makes some fairly decent cooling in terms of performance and noise.... Still though, its not a very good looking HSF, but it might cool half decently and be fairly quiet. Ill wait for a review of it before passing judgment.
Old July 21, 2009, 12:59 PM

No offense but some manufacturers like Gigabyte use Zalman, others like BFG use Zerotherm and someone I can't mention will be using Xigmatek. Meanwhile, we have Mushkin using what amounts to be a $16 USD Arctic Cooling solution. AC isn't an issue here. What I have an issue with is Mushkin using the cheapest cooler on the market:

Arctic Cooling L2 Pro

Volume pricing for the reference cooler for the HD 4850 is ~$14USD supposedly. I wonder what volume pricing is on this thing....$10?
Old July 21, 2009, 01:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I guess watching OCZ try and fail at this did not allow Mushkin to use common sense and avoid this market......
Old July 21, 2009, 01:09 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Cheapest doesnt necessarily mean its the worst... I actually quite like AC products for low to midrange cooling. And since the cooler you linked to is meant for At Most a 4850, i'd expect to see something better on the higher-end cards from mushkin. We'll see t hough...
Old July 21, 2009, 01:10 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
No offense but some manufacturers like Gigabyte use Zalman, others like BFG use Zerotherm and someone I can't mention will be using Xigmatek. Meanwhile, we have Mushkin using what amounts to be a $16 USD Arctic Cooling solution. AC isn't an issue here. What I have an issue with is Mushkin using the cheapest cooler on the market:

Arctic Cooling L2 Pro

Volume pricing for the reference cooler for the HD 4850 is ~$14USD supposedly. I wonder what volume pricing is on this thing....$10?
What if the card is priced equal to a reference design unit with ref. cooler? Even given that it looks like ass, you can't get much worse than the single low pro design of the 4850 for cooling so it is bound to be a better option if price equal or less than.....

Though that is probably wishful thinking.
Old July 21, 2009, 01:19 PM

I have that cooler at home. Got it direct from AC and I can tell you that it is worth $10.

If you are going to stick a dual-slot cooler on what was a single slot card, at least make sure it significanty outperforms the stock design.