Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 15, 2009, 11:25 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Default Intel Posts Q2 Fiscal Results - Loss Due to EU Fine

Intel Corporation released their official second quarter results this morning, with numbers that differed greatly from expectations. While it wasn't all bad news, the end result was that for the first time in 21 years Intel has posted a quarterly loss. The loss is due to the $1.45 billion dollar fine levied by the EC a few months ago which can... [ Read full article ]
Old July 15, 2009, 11:27 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Sweet! they should keep getting fined for such awfully biased business practices and skewed marketing. Time to give the other chip manufacturers more money so that more innovation can come about with less of an Intelopoly.
Old July 15, 2009, 01:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Sweet! they should keep getting fined for such awfully biased business practices and skewed marketing. Time to give the other chip manufacturers more money so that more innovation can come about with less of an Intelopoly.
+1

Before when I was a computer noob, I thought it was weird seeing big companies like Dell and MDG, etc. offering only Intel Pentium 4 computers despite AMD being cheaper and faster. North America needs to do something against these kinds of oligopoly.
Old July 15, 2009, 01:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

isn't it monopoly?

-Plato
Old July 15, 2009, 02:20 PM
Rookie

holy how much money is EU raking in from fining all these huge companies?
Old July 15, 2009, 02:36 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruity View Post
holy how much money is EU raking in from fining all these huge companies?
Between MS and Intel, I believe they have cleared $5 Billion

Canada should get in on this - be a nice little chunk of change towards our deficit.

Hell, forget taxes altogether - governments should supplement taxes with fines against multi billion dollar corporations to balance the budget

"What! We are running low on CPP funds... launch an Inquiry against *insert company here*, that should about cover it for the year"

The Intel inquiry and penalty may or may not have been justified - HOWEVER, looking at the EU's track recording, especially with Microsoft, and you realize there is more there than justice and fairness/marketplace equality
It is a cash grab and a abuse of authority (In my personal opinion)
Old July 15, 2009, 03:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You got that right! As much as I love my i7, I really want AMD to become a leader again too.
Old July 15, 2009, 03:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
isn't it monopoly?
From what I learned in business, monopoly is when there's NO competition whatsoever. AMD is competition to Intel, thus it's oligopoly and not monopoly. Plus there's other chip makers out there as well, they just don't really compete against Intel in the desktop and laptop market.

Quote:
Monopoly: (economics) a market in which there are many buyers but only one seller; "a monopoly on silver"; "when you have a monopoly you can ask any price ...
Quote:
Oligopoly: (economics) a market in which control over the supply of a commodity is in the hands of a small number of producers and each one can influence ...