Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 8, 2009, 01:32 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Default Corsair Pulls Dominator GT Memory Due to Concerns Over Failing Elpida Hyper ICs

Quote:
While it isnít yet classified as a full blown epidemic, Corsair is stepping up to the plate and taking responsibility for their products, as a growing number of reports indicate that Eplida Hyperís ICís, used on some of the high end Dominator GT memory is having far higher than normal failure rates.
Full Article: Corsair Pulls Dominator GT Memory Due to Concerns Over Failing Elpida Hyper ICs | Hardware Canucks

*Feel Free to Comment in This Thread*
Old July 8, 2009, 01:38 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Well I knew these had problems but wow! Knock on wood.

Old July 8, 2009, 01:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I read about this on Anandtech this morning. Here is their review of the situation; AnandTech: DDR3-2000+ Memory Kits - Fast but Flawed

It seems to be pritty widespread. I think OCZ is following suit too, or so the rumormill states.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old July 8, 2009, 02:55 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
I read about this on Anandtech this morning.
They still do computer hardware reviews/news?
I figured they were out of that side of business
Old July 8, 2009, 04:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

oh no. I was going to buy some of these when i switched to i7.. mushkin it is then!
Old July 8, 2009, 05:15 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia View Post
oh no. I was going to buy some of these when i switched to i7.. mushkin it is then!
it is not just Dominator-GT's that people are having issues with, if you buy Mushkin with Elpida Hyper IC's your chances of getting sticks that die are going to be just as good. apparently they can be screened though as Corsair is offering RMA replacements of screened kits that don't have the problem, or refunding outright.

there has also been a Kingston quote floating around saying they will no longer be making kits with Elpida Hyper IC's for the same reason, way too high an RMA rate for random deaths. that hasn't been confirmed I don't think yet with an official posting.

keep in mind guys, there are plenty of kits of Elpida Hyper that have been running months and months without issue. i don't have specifics as to what the actual issue is or if it can be linked to specific production dates of IC's, but it should be something that can be remedied...hopefully anyway. this also only effects J1108BASE, not J1108BBSE or any other Elpida IC's, there are guys already running around forums saying they knew Elpida was junk all along...riiiight, if only they knew what they were talking about.

remember, these IC's are the first of their kind - copper interconnects - it sucks there are troubles with some but it isn't the first time something leading edge didn't work out perfectly the first time...it just shouldn't have made it to market which is where the sour taste in people's mouth comes from.
Old July 8, 2009, 05:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

Which Mushkin's have the Hyper IC's? I thought the kit you checked out recently was using something distinctly different?
Old July 8, 2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Which Mushkin's have the Hyper IC's? I thought the kit you checked out recently was using something distinctly different?
oh yeah, there are plenty of kits that don't have Elpida Hyper. primarily PC3-16000 7-8-7 or higher kits, PC3-15000 7-8-7, and some manu's PC3-12800 6-7-6...but like you said, the Mushkin Ascents i reviewed here at HWC which are rated for PC3-12800 6-7-6 are not Elpida Hyper. there are also reports that the PC3-16000 8-8-7 Redline and Redline Ascent are not Hyper either, but it is hard to confirm exactly which kits do and do not have Elpida Hyper from Mushkin. i am going to fire Nick an e-mail right now and see if i can get a list for you guys.
Old July 8, 2009, 07:00 PM

an official statement from OCZ on this matter, and quite a surprising one to be honest. they haven't seen the same volume of issues yet are withholding any use of the IC's for now...

Quote:
This is OCZ's official statement.

In regards to the potential issues relating to Elpida Hyper ICís, OCZ has not yet seen extended failures in the field, and the Elipda Hyper ICís we have used came from earlier batches so we do not yet know if this is the reason why we are not seeing field issues but as a proactive measure based on the latest information from media reviewers like AnandTech we have officially held the use of any Elpida Hyper ICís at this time. Any customers that are seeing issues are encouraged to contact us and we will absolutely take care of all customers that with a no questions asked refund or exchange for another OCZ product of equal value, whichever the customer prefers. We want to make sure that our customers have peace of mind and the confidence that we will take care of any and all issues related to modules that utilize Elpida Hyper chips.
OCZ Forum - View Single Post - Support Question Elpida Hyper Memory