Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31 (permalink)  
Old June 20, 2009, 09:25 PM
belgolas's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: St. Thomas Ontario close to london
Posts: 3,923

My System Specs

Default

Um I remember seeing game benchmarks run about 1-2% faster on windows 7 then XP. Windows 7 runs faster and look a 1000 times better. Windows 7 will have DX11 and is better optimized for multi threaded apps and SSD drives. Windows 7 in my mind is Microsoft's best OS to date. Vista is decent and runs fine without any issues but it just started out bad and the press made it worse. XP only ran half decent at launch because it is only a small upgrade over windows 2000. Windows 7 is just the same. A small upgrade over Vista.

I think people like XP because they are emotionally attached to it. Nothing more.
__________________

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old June 21, 2009, 06:11 AM
sswilson's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 14,422

My System Specs

Default

Good morning folks.....

Didn't want to edit-and-run so I figured it'd be easier if I dropped a post in here for all to see with an explaination.

I deleted the post with the old blacklisted XP reg key and edited any references which included the actual #. I know it's a blacklisted key, but didn't want to leave it up as it could easily give a new viewer/reader the wrong impression about HWC. With something like that, I can imagine somebody seeing just that post (without the references that came later) and thinking that HWC allowed its members to post reg keys. That's not something we'd want to be known for even if it's based on inaccurate information.

Thanks for reading, and Happy Father's Day to everybody.

Steve
__________________
MSI Z87I Gaming AC / i5 4670K / 2X 4G Gskill 1866 DDR3 / XFX XTR 750 / EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB / Intel DC S3700 200G / random 160G Sata HDD
Inwin 904 / Swiftech MCP655-b / Alphacool NexXxos XT45 120 Rad / 2X Scythe GT AP-15 / EK Supreme HF / Dell UltraSharp U2412M

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old June 21, 2009, 06:21 AM
sswilson's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 14,422

My System Specs

Default

As far as the discussion WRT XP/Vista/Win7 goes......

I'm not surprised that they've extended the life of XP. Vista's name is mud among many folks, and it'll take a while for Win7 to gain full acceptance once it officially hits the street.

Vista's launch was a "perfect storm" when it came to poor adoption rates.... not only did it not offer much in the way of benefits over XP, the initial release had some fairly major performance issues, as well as some (AFAIK still not addressed in Win7) hard coded DRM schemes which pretty well sealed its fate.

As one of those who refused to migrate over to Vista I can say that the majority of my concerns about Vista have been addressed in Win7 and I'm looking forward to getting a 64bit OS the next time I need to purchase an OS license.
__________________
MSI Z87I Gaming AC / i5 4670K / 2X 4G Gskill 1866 DDR3 / XFX XTR 750 / EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB / Intel DC S3700 200G / random 160G Sata HDD
Inwin 904 / Swiftech MCP655-b / Alphacool NexXxos XT45 120 Rad / 2X Scythe GT AP-15 / EK Supreme HF / Dell UltraSharp U2412M

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old June 21, 2009, 10:24 AM
Perineum's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Surrey, B.C.
Posts: 4,038

My System Specs

Default

From my experience, the overwhelming people who nod to me and tell me unequivocally that Vista is "shit" are exactly the type of people who know nothing about computers.

Every once in a while someone knowledgable will say they don't like Vista and give some reasonable explainations, but the first group can't explain why, or even know what the hell an "OS" is.
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old June 21, 2009, 06:23 PM
belgolas's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: St. Thomas Ontario close to london
Posts: 3,923

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
From my experience, the overwhelming people who nod to me and tell me unequivocally that Vista is "shit" are exactly the type of people who know nothing about computers.

Every once in a while someone knowledgable will say they don't like Vista and give some reasonable explainations, but the first group can't explain why, or even know what the hell an "OS" is.
Exactly. Most people that do complain about vista either never used it, used it in the first year, or had a mindset that it was horrible so when they used it they only looked at the bad stuff instead of the good stuff. The fact is if you are a gamer there is no reason why you would run a OS that can't run the new DX's. XP is 2 versions of DX behind. DX 11 is going to be more supported then DX10. Also there is enough graphical differences from DX 9 to 10.

I still play some old games that are early DX 9 games and you can switch them from DX8 or DX9 and I can tell you for those games you couldn't tell the difference except for a few small things like shadows. DX 9 to 10 is no different for the early DX 10 games.
__________________

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)  
Old June 22, 2009, 06:14 AM
Soultribunal's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 8,063

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
From my experience, the overwhelming people who nod to me and tell me unequivocally that Vista is "shit" are exactly the type of people who know nothing about computers.

Every once in a while someone knowledgable will say they don't like Vista and give some reasonable explainations, but the first group can't explain why, or even know what the hell an "OS" is.
I for one, am happy that it will be supported until 2011. Nothing that we supply can interface with Vista Properly. And simply telling customers their 300K insturment will not run is not a good selling point.
Our software team is working with MS on 7 so that will be the saving grace. But for Vista as a buisness platform, its hit or miss.

Vista as an OS, doesn't work for me namely because I play a lot of older games that I dont' want to drop simply because of an OS.
And, from my own experiences, my XP rigs have been quite stable and reliable over the years.
My wifes, and roommates Vista Machines, have been a world of problems.
And incompatibilites, and to top it all off it took 2 days to get MS Office for Vista to work. Vista gave some security issue for MS's own software.
Quality I tell ya...


ST
__________________




"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)  
Old June 22, 2009, 11:55 AM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
Um I remember seeing game benchmarks run about 1-2% faster on windows 7 then XP. Windows 7 runs faster and look a 1000 times better. Windows 7 will have DX11 and is better optimized for multi threaded apps and SSD drives. Windows 7 in my mind is Microsoft's best OS to date. Vista is decent and runs fine without any issues but it just started out bad and the press made it worse. XP only ran half decent at launch because it is only a small upgrade over windows 2000. Windows 7 is just the same. A small upgrade over Vista.

I think people like XP because they are emotionally attached to it. Nothing more.
Aero to me is just garbage. I don't need transparencies when I'm using a computer.
SSD drives aren't anywhere near economical yet for the general user to even think about buying them.
DirectX 11? Really who cares as DirectX 10 was a major flop and was supposed to be the huge selling feature for Vista but failed.
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)  
Old June 22, 2009, 12:26 PM
Dr_BenD_over's Avatar
Fallen Folder
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,418

My System Specs

Default

I find it intresting that a LOT of my peeves about Vista (primarily things that didn't work as they had in 2000 and XP) have now reverted back to how they did work in Win7. Now if they'd only fix WMP11, if my hair was long enough to grasp, it'd be all gone by now.

Oh yeah, guess I'd better get the RC of Win7 soon seeing as the beta is ending.
__________________
All's well that's Haswell
Reply With Quote
  #39 (permalink)  
Old June 22, 2009, 04:54 PM
belgolas's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: St. Thomas Ontario close to london
Posts: 3,923

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
I for one, am happy that it will be supported until 2011. Nothing that we supply can interface with Vista Properly. And simply telling customers their 300K insturment will not run is not a good selling point.
Our software team is working with MS on 7 so that will be the saving grace. But for Vista as a buisness platform, its hit or miss.

Vista as an OS, doesn't work for me namely because I play a lot of older games that I dont' want to drop simply because of an OS.
And, from my own experiences, my XP rigs have been quite stable and reliable over the years.
My wifes, and roommates Vista Machines, have been a world of problems.
And incompatibilites, and to top it all off it took 2 days to get MS Office for Vista to work. Vista gave some security issue for MS's own software.
Quality I tell ya...


ST
I don't know about too many old games but I still play starcraft fine and commander keen fine (the only 2 old games I have).
__________________

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)  
Old June 22, 2009, 06:41 PM
Soultribunal's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 8,063

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
I don't know about too many old games but I still play starcraft fine and commander keen fine (the only 2 old games I have).
MOO2 and Older.
I'm one who keeps his old games around and uses them on a frequent basis.
Again, its all up to the User and what he/she wants to do.
My main gripe is the work related issues.
MS was far from co-operative on helping our software Branch with their Vista.


ST
__________________




"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any benefits of installing Windows 7 64 bit vs 32 bit? HoTiCE_ O/S's, Drivers & General Software 20 November 5, 2009 04:35 AM
XP Pro 32 bit - Upgrade too Vista Ultimate 64 bit Maxtor O/S's, Drivers & General Software 5 April 13, 2009 03:34 PM
64 Bit Vista Ultimate and Office Ultimate 32 Bit tyreman O/S's, Drivers & General Software 5 March 22, 2009 04:54 AM
Windows XP 64 bit D4ng3r O/S's, Drivers & General Software 12 December 15, 2008 06:05 AM
Vista Home Premium 32 bit to Vista Ultimate 64 bit 334th_Frenchie O/S's, Drivers & General Software 4 September 9, 2008 07:45 PM