Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 19, 2009, 12:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Windows XP had tons of bugs at launch and was no better then vista, I in no way think its at all superior to previous or new releases of windows either. I had absolutely no issues with ME or 98, I found both versions to be rock solid, I also have no problem with vista, it had a faulty launch but microsoft did a good job of getting it up and running properly. Most of the issues with vista off the start had more to do with hardware companies not writing decent drivers for our hardware quick enough then vista having software issues.

I personally wont spend thousands of dollars worth of gear and run an old OS, theres no point.

EDIT: I really dont think we should be openly posting windows CD keys in the HWC threads, could get the website into alot of trouble....

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old June 19, 2009, 12:28 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realityshift View Post
EDIT: I really dont think we should be openly posting windows CD keys in the HWC threads, could get the website into alot of trouble....
I agree but that one is long since blacklisted, and very well known....

as seen below

Edit: It may be a blacklisted #, but we don't want even the smallest suggestion that HWC allows reg keys to be listed on our site.

sswilson

Last edited by sswilson; June 21, 2009 at 05:44 AM. Reason: removed link that included (even though it's blacklisted) XP reg key
Old June 19, 2009, 12:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Considering its been blacklisted for god knows how long nothing to really worry about.
Old June 19, 2009, 05:12 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
You forget a lot of people don't like change and that a lot of corporations STILL run XP due to upgrade costs and re-training time which results in downtime.

OR because Microsoft decides to be idiots and changes enough stuff that most software controls on our insturments can't be done in Vista Enviroment.

None of my work computers can have vista. Its XP or the latest W7 hopefully...

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 19, 2009, 06:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think the companies that use Windows XP are whiny little babies. It's time for an upgrade. How long did it take for people to migrate from 95/98 to XP? I'm sure it took an even shorter amount of time to migrate. Companies are just too lazy to put in the effort into training people because they'd rather pay the CEO more money. Give me a break.

Now where I work right now, they're still using XP. I mean, it's a great OS for companies that don't need the next best hardware, but for people doing upgrades on current infrastructure, they may as well migrate to a newer OS.
Old June 19, 2009, 06:39 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
I think the companies that use Windows XP are whiny little babies. It's time for an upgrade. How long did it take for people to migrate from 95/98 to XP? I'm sure it took an even shorter amount of time to migrate. Companies are just too lazy to put in the effort into training people because they'd rather pay the CEO more money. Give me a break.

Now where I work right now, they're still using XP. I mean, it's a great OS for companies that don't need the next best hardware, but for people doing upgrades on current infrastructure, they may as well migrate to a newer OS.

We have our Own Software Division in France, and its not a matter of being a whiny baby for our reluctance to mitigate to Vista. Its the issues assoicated with the millions of Analytical insturments that cannot run in that enviroment.
So, yeah we'll keep to using XP.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 19, 2009, 06:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Windows XP had tons of bugs at launch and was no better then vista, I in no way think its at all superior to previous or new releases of windows either. I had absolutely no issues with ME or 98, I found both versions to be rock solid, I also have no problem with vista, it had a faulty launch but microsoft did a good job of getting it up and running properly. Most of the issues with vista off the start had more to do with hardware companies not writing decent drivers for our hardware quick enough then vista having software issues.
I have very little complaints about Vista...

However, when my wife and I were gaming a fair amount (BF1942) she was running WindowsXP and I was running Windows98.

In six months times there had to be at least that many times that I was stuck fckin around trying to get Windows98 to work.

Since moving to WindowsXP I can think of maybe 3 times in 5 years, with the last being just 2 weeks ago. (Something edited my registry and made my keyboard stop working... Just attached that to the machine in my sig and booted up and imported/fixed the registry )
Old June 19, 2009, 07:12 AM
Allstar
F@H

Hahahaha

Who here wanna bet that Vista will get the axe before Windows XP!
CPU Intel Core i7 2700K 3.5GHZ
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V
Memory Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II
Sound Card ASUS Xonar DX
Old June 19, 2009, 07:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

2 years ago, I worked at the "Autorité des marchés financiers du QuébecL" (equivalent of the SEC in USA, but for QC)m and they were just migrating to XP from 2000. I really don,t think they'll upgrade so soon!

Back up - Ebay (Inik1) or Heatware
Old June 19, 2009, 10:46 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I understand about upgrading corp. environments and the costs/headache invloved so an XP extension is good for that. However in my home... I will be going Win7 on my desktop sometime after this fall. My lappie has Vista so no need to upgrade there. XP is fine but I feel like it is getting pretty old now. If there was no Win7 coming this fall I'd probably already be on Vista 64bit on my desktop now.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE