Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 18, 2009, 07:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I can't believe someone on these forums would quote Michael Geist.

Maybe someone could explain to me how this is any different than the police looking up your information with a simple license plate, driver's license or VIN search.

The same reason why left-wing liberal douchebags are always there to push those limits to the brink and then cry foul. Much like my old car could attest to when it was torched by the leftists during one of their protests in downtown Montreal years ago. And then who was tackled by the police to the ground? Me, for going after the punks with a tire iron.
Hey Sky,

The thing is I am not left wing at all. I am very much right wing, but as chriskwarren has said I do have an issue of them doing this without a warrant. They already have all the powers they need to get a warrant if it is justified. Hey now if it was justified then hell yea, break down the frikken door.

You mention the leftist protests and how you got tackled to the ground. See I think you are in the right for going after the damn punks with the tire iron. And I wish that the police would have seen that.

But you see this really has nothing to do with right or left. It has to do with a fundamental right of privacy. I believe that I am entitled to have privacy and this is just one step towards full out wiretaps and them being able to just enter your house whenever they want.

The difference between this and them looking up info on your license plate is that your license plate will not give them anything that is not public knowledge. You can't look up your plate number and see if you happened to download the newest movie or linux.

Remember this would be perfectly fine if it was only used for the right things, but come on, since when has the government or the police forces in this country even done things only for the right things?

Look if they really wanted to make things better and wanted to help curb these crimes, then when they do catch these scum bags, don't just give them a slap on the wrist and let them go. Nail them to the F^*KI# wall. That is what should be introduced not something that can be used to spy on anyone that they want.

Harsher sentences are what are needed, not spying. Remember they can already do this if they get a warrant first. Plus they can just call a judge to get a warrant now, so if they have enough evidence then it should not be any issue.

“Those who sacrifice freedom for safety deserve neither.”

Old June 18, 2009, 07:18 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gruntsworthy View Post
how about a very powerful magnet? run that over the hard drives and wipe 'em clean.

Or, as i saw somewhere, create a magnetic field generator (done with copper wiring and such) over your door frame so if the cops come and sieze your computer, quietly turn it on, and as they walk through the door frame, bam, magnetic field destabilizes and wipes out info on the drive. :P

Hahhaha I love it, plus all their Magnetic Stripe cards like Visa/Mastercard gets erased, I would love to see them try and go buy lunch after walking thru the doorway a few times... hahahha Does anyone have any cash! ;)

Last edited by fefox; June 18, 2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old June 18, 2009, 09:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I don't really know what to say about this. As it currently stands, it would look like the ISPs are actually refusing to do something for once. And it's understandable as that would require a ton of new hardware and a huge amount of storage to keep all this data on hand for however long the police say they need it for. Worst part for the ISPs, it would by no means help them increase profits or reduce network load (like throttling did).

I don't believe the government quite realizes just how much data flows over the Internet. What they are proposing seems to be rather difficult to implement and I'd imagine it'll make our Internet slower than it already is considering how far we lag behind of other developed countries.

I definitely don't like the whole big-brother feeling to this. After reading 1984 and Brave New World (joys of grade 12 English), it really would seem like we're moving towards that kind of society.

But doesn't the world end in 2012?
Old June 18, 2009, 10:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_HT View Post
Something tells me that hammering my hard drives while they're on fire is a pretty secure method of encryption.
As long as you damage the platters enough, I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gruntsworthy View Post
how about a very powerful magnet? run that over the hard drives and wipe 'em clean.
I believe the good data recovery places can get around that. Maybe I'm paranoid but I believe they can actually see where the data was even though it's moved around now. Residual latent charge?

Dunno. I AM paranoid