Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 13, 2009, 11:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what it is Intel did wrong here :P
lol agreed i love the part where Amd was complaining how intel can sell parts cheaper then their cost. LIKE its their fault Intel can sell things cheaper, anyways im not big on monopolies either soo we will see what happens.
Mushkin Ascent Redline 8000 4gb DDR2 @ 1066 5-5-5-15 2.05v
OCZ 600W GameXstream
Seagate 7200.11 500gb
Seagate 7200.10 320gb
Antec Spot Cool
Logitech X-230
Samsung 32" 720P HDTV

Coolermaster Cosmos S/
Swiftech Mcp655/ MCR-320-QP/ 6X Noctua NF-P12'S/ Swiftech Apogee GT/ Swiftech Mcw-60/ Swiftech Micro-Res.

Old May 14, 2009, 12:00 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what it is Intel did wrong here :P
If you read the link sswilson provided it's pretty simple.
It's actually bordering on extortion and certainly against the law. Europe isn't the only place they are in the stink over this kind of thing.
Quote:
Intel is facing a wall of regulatory resistance to its business practices around the world, with antitrust infringement decisions against it now in Japan, Korea, and the EU, while the US authorities are investigating Intel as well," said David Anderson, a lawyer at Berwin Leighton Paisner.
BBC NEWS | Business | EU slaps a record fine on Intel
Good for the EU, we need a lot more of that kind of enforcement on this side of the pond. ( Instead of the courts spending all the taxpayers money going after some kid for stealing songs or smoking a joint )
Old May 14, 2009, 01:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

While I agree the EU is mainly issuing these large fines against Microsoft and Intel for the wrong reasons and is mainly using them as a cash cow, Microsoft is allowed to use its Internet Explorer in its own OS in my opinion, no matter what the EU says. But if this is true, and it looks like it is, then the fine is deserved, admittedly I believe most of the money should go to AMD as they are the party concerned. The EU should not be seeing money from these suits, there is too much for them to gain and as long as that incentive is there it is in their favor to continue issuing huge fines.

It would be like the prosecutor being judge, jury and executioner in murder cases, the defendant will always be found guilty, despite the evidence.
Old May 14, 2009, 06:11 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I'm not taking sides one way or the other but none of his money should go to AMD. The German government has subsidized amd fabs in germany to the tune of billions.
Old May 14, 2009, 06:32 PM
MVP

My System Specs

From here: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/AMD...rust,7801.html

"Intel maintains that it acted well within legal boundaries by offering rebates to manufacturers who agreed to obtain the majority of their processors from Intel as well as paying manufacturers to either delay or cancel the launch of AMD-based products."

Nice, eh?
Thing is, the German government (just as brewer265@ said) as well as the EU itself invested a lot of money in AMD over the years. I can see why they were so persistent reinforcing the Law...
Old May 14, 2009, 10:06 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashock View Post
lol agreed i love the part where Amd was complaining how intel can sell parts cheaper then their cost.
I have no idea what it costs to make a chip, nor how well it scales.
But Intel does sell 2x the CPUs that AMD does, so maybe quantity has an effect on raw chip cost?

Source:
Steam Hardware Survey

(Granted, it's not a perfect source, but it's a decent representation)
Old May 18, 2009, 02:51 PM
Top Prospect

To be honest they deserved it, overpricing everything and paying companies to use Intel only. Bullshit.
Old May 18, 2009, 02:59 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by death_hawk View Post
I have no idea what it costs to make a chip, nor how well it scales.
But Intel does sell 2x the CPUs that AMD does, so maybe quantity has an effect on raw chip cost?

Source:
Steam Hardware Survey

(Granted, it's not a perfect source, but it's a decent representation)
Yes, but if that's the case then they can use their lower cost/unit production lead to corner the market while still staying within the law. That's not what they were charged with. What they did (forcing manufacturers to either avoid AMD all together or delay release of AMD's newer offerings) belongs in a 1950's pulp detective/gangster paperback, not in a modern marketplace with laws against anti-competetive corporate practices.

" That's an awfully nice business you've got built there selling them there computers, It'd be a shame if we had to cut off your supply if you decide to use some of dimestore willy's processors in your store.... "

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP