Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 13, 2009, 09:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Yeah whatever, they are not selling anything at cost.... I would like to know what a CPU really costs! If you make millions (!) of CPU's and you sell them at an average price of what $ 200, you're still not making profit? Come on... I'm blonde but not that stupid...
Old May 13, 2009, 09:16 AM
F@H

My System Specs

According to this....

BBC NEWS | Business | EU slaps a record fine on Intel

The fines will be going to the EU rather than to AMD so I'm a little less inclined to think this is a good thing. This makes it look like a tax grab, and I'm wondering if the US gov might get involved claiming unfair trade tarifs or something similar....

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old May 13, 2009, 09:23 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The pot calling the kettle black, what.

The "Anti-trust Trust fund"
Old May 13, 2009, 01:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what it is Intel did wrong here :P
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old May 13, 2009, 01:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

They basically told their customers that they'd be at a disadvantage (over their competition in a business with exceptionally low margins) if they dared to offer any AMD options in their lineup.

It's the threat of higher pricing for using AMD that's the crime. If they had just offered their product at a price that AMD couldn't match, but left that decision to the customer, they would have been fine.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old May 13, 2009, 03:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I like this fine. I was curious as to why the major OEM manufacturers didn't sell systems equipped with AMD CPUs, such as MGD, Dell, HP etc. Now, we might have found out why they didn't sell systems equipped with AMD CPUs and why Intel deserves this fine.

Personally, I believe North America needs to work harder to prevent company from being monopolies like Microsoft and Intel.Intel should be able to pay this fine no problem since they are still continuing to make a profit, as seen in their last quarter results. Plus, Intel said they're going to make an appeal, so the fine will definitely be dropped down to maybe $800 million or something like that. They definitely won't pay $1.45 billion.
Old May 13, 2009, 04:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It just bugs me that the money goes to the EU.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old May 13, 2009, 06:21 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
. Plus, Intel said they're going to make an appeal, so the fine will definitely be dropped down to maybe $800 million or something like that. They definitely won't pay $1.45 billion.

Unfortunately given the EU's record (ie with Microsoft) even if it drops, they are going to slap billions of dollars worth of charges onto them.

MS's went from something like 495 million euros to over 1.5 billion euros because Microsoft was filing appeals and such and therefore delaying the payment.... so the EU added additional fines to nearly triple the penalty.

They are nothing but a government cash grab
Old May 13, 2009, 06:24 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Unfortunately, most articles about this topic haven't been explaining the issue in full depth. Basically, what happened is that Intel pressured the big retailers to sell Intel products only.
Imagine Best Buy and Future Shop selling only Intel computers.....
The customer never got a choice.

Monopoly ---> higher price, less choice

BTW, the EU just issued a rather big order of Dell system, AMD based. I think the volume was around 63 million Euro.
Old May 13, 2009, 10:25 PM
Top Prospect

The EU, they go after these companies to make easy money, nothing else. They dont care about monopoly.
Thank you