Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 13, 2009, 08:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Intel should pull out of the EU altogether. There is and old saying, "if you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen".

I'm not convinced that people refused to buy AMD products because Intel was offering "protection" for the people to not carry AMD products over those offered by Intel.

I don't doubt that some shady things have happened between certain parties and companies over the years, however if people think that AMD is innocent in all this they need to give their heads a shake.

If you can't beat em, sue em. That too is the 'American way".
Old May 13, 2009, 08:29 AM
F@H

My System Specs

It does point to questionable practices though, and these kinds of laws are put in place to prevent a large company like intel from using its market dominance to bury a smaller competator. Without enforcement of these kinds of laws, companies like AMD wouldn't be around, and the monopolies would then be able to demand ridiculous markups on their products.

It might sound like splitting hairs, but there's a big difference between trying to corner the market with low prices, and trying to corner the market by telling folks they'll only get your best deal if they don't do business with the competition.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old May 13, 2009, 08:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

"telling folks they'll only get your best deal if they don't do business with the competition"

It's not like those people didn't have a choice. As far as anyone knows this is hearsay. I don't recall reading any contracts that prohibit people from selling AMD systems along side Intel ones.
Old May 13, 2009, 09:08 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

The EU has found another cash cow. When they run out of spare money from Microsoft, they switched to Intel.... and Microsoft as well....

Where does all this money go is what I would like to know - Into the pockets of the beaurocrats and government? Even though it was originally OUR money to begin with. Not to mention AMD is the one who lost profits... shouldn't they be getting a chunk of the change?

The EU is a crock - They serve no purpose but to act as a "legal" cash grab for the government.
Old May 13, 2009, 09:12 AM
Allstar

Considering the size of the fine I highly doubt that anybody was working on hearsay. It sounds from the judgement that people were in fact prohibited from selling AMD products if they wanted Intel products at prices that were available to competitors that didn't sell AMD.
Old May 13, 2009, 09:14 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
The EU has found another cash cow. When they run out of spare money from Microsoft, they switched to Intel.... and Microsoft as well....

Where does all this money go is what I would like to know - Into the pockets of the beaurocrats and government? Even though it was originally OUR money to begin with. Not to mention AMD is the one who lost profits... shouldn't they be getting a chunk of the change?

The EU is a crock - They serve no purpose but to act as a "legal" cash grab for the government.
They used to have anti monopoly laws in the US before the corporations bought the country, they were used too.
Old May 13, 2009, 09:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

They no longer have anti-trust laws in the States? I didn't know that.
Old May 13, 2009, 09:39 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
They no longer have anti-trust laws in the States? I didn't know that.
They still have em, they just haven't applied them in quite some time.
Old May 13, 2009, 09:50 AM
Top Prospect

The article definitely doesn't go into enough detail for a reader to make an informed judgement, but if true, some of the allegations are big.

Discounts are one thing - discounting your product so deeply that the competition can't compete has been done for years and years and years. Essentially paying off your customers by offering discounts if they only offer your product... that is starting to get more shady.

We'll have to see if this one sticks or not.
Old May 13, 2009, 09:59 AM
Banned

The tactic of Intel is simple: ďletís sell processor at cost, and when AMD will be out of the business, letís make peoples pay gold for it ď