Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 6, 2009, 02:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I mean Russia the largest country can provide its people cheaper and faster Internet then north American countries. Well maybe after rogers makes a whole house out of $1000 bills they will give us unworthy people an upgrade.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old May 6, 2009, 02:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

you need to up the bills to million dollar bank notes then maybe
Old May 6, 2009, 02:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave510 View Post
I'm pretty sure it's easier to have high speed internet for more people in Japan, at a cheaper price, because of the fact that they have a very high population density.
It's not just japan. It is pretty much the whole world including so
E of the poorer countries. I remember rogers has over a 1000% profit margins. So if they give us the fastest Internet possible for the same price and can still make a good profit.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
Old May 6, 2009, 02:24 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
Did you know that Rogers get over 1000% profit from text messages.
I'd be incredibly shocked if it was actually that low.
A hundred characters isn't exactly much data to send.
And if you count the reduced phone usage, that number goes up even higher.

Seriously... whoever invented text messaging is a genius.
Reduce the number of calls per second for a slight increase in data usage and find additional revenue streams at the same time.

As for the original topic, I'm tempted to buy a Cityplace condo JUST for the internet.
After working out the cost of laying and paying for fiber every month, it turns out that buying a condo is actually cheaper. Figure THAT one out.
Old May 6, 2009, 04:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well the problem is there is no competition. We pay what we are willing to pay. In other countries internet is like a utility. Where the cheapest provider gets your money. We have what 2 providers in Canada (90% of companies are either owned by Rogers or Bell) and both of those companies work together. So there is no competition which means our technology is at a stand still. It took Apple to get Rogers to lower data plans on cell phones when the 2nd gen iPhone was released. Apple threatened to never sell the iPhone in Canada if Rogers didn't lower cell phone plans. In Russia they have almost 5 times faster cell phone internet for a cheaper price. Much cheaper price. We are slipping behind and it is making me angry.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
Old May 6, 2009, 04:21 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Start your own company and compete then. A lot of grousing about the cost and all... if you think they are acting in collusion then challenge them in court. And the final bit is if you really don't like it, move, no one is keeping you here but yourself. Sure, I would love to see more competition, lower prices, etc, but I don't have the money nor the inclination to start my own company, so I will suck it up and pay and not whine about it.

The day you demand that a company provide a service for the good of the people is the day the companies fold up and leave, or the government starts to run it, poorly.
Wife's Rig - MSI GL72M 7RDX
Old May 6, 2009, 07:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

A 10/10 unlimited and no throttled plan would so satisfy me...hell, in Quebec you're lucky if you get unlimited...don't hope for better speeds.. :|
Old May 6, 2009, 07:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
Start your own company and compete then. A lot of grousing about the cost and all... if you think they are acting in collusion then challenge them in court. And the final bit is if you really don't like it, move, no one is keeping you here but yourself. Sure, I would love to see more competition, lower prices, etc, but I don't have the money nor the inclination to start my own company, so I will suck it up and pay and not whine about it.

The day you demand that a company provide a service for the good of the people is the day the companies fold up and leave, or the government starts to run it, poorly.
haha in some other countries the government does a good job at controlling things.

I would start my own company but I don't have the money :(. I can complain though because we are getting raped compared to the rest of the world. It is just Canadians are too lazy and never riot. In France students Rioted when tuition fees rose to $2000 and now it is $1500. So if we were to riot then we would get better prices or they would finally update their accent services. The fact that not every single person in Canada can get internet is completely mind boggling. I have a friend that has no access to internet accept satellite and that is crazy expensive and slow. They live 5 minutes from me and are closer to the major city in our area. While in India, yes I said India EVERYONE has access to internet. It doesn't matter if you live far away in a remote area you have internet. India is a pretty big country although it does have a billion people. My brother went to India and they went on a 2 and a half hour drive away from the city and then go for a half hour hike to a remote village and they had internet for cheap.

Then I could complain about cellphone services in Canada. It only cost Rogers a couple cents extra to call someone from another country yet we get outrageous roaming charges. Also like I said Rogers gets over a 1000% profit margin from text messaging. I also forgot how much they make for data plans but it is really high profit margin also.

Will anything change? Not likely because we are too passive of a culture.

I am willing to pay higher taxes if the government would give us better services.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
Old May 6, 2009, 08:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Nice, about time we get internet like those Japanese
Old May 6, 2009, 10:31 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by death_hawk View Post
I'd be incredibly shocked if it was actually that low.
A hundred characters isn't exactly much data to send.
And if you count the reduced phone usage, that number goes up even higher.

Oh man, those texts are the biiiiiggest rip off, even worse than you think.

Can't remember the details, or where I read this. But apparently, when your cell phone is on, there is a constant and faint signal to whatever tower your closest to (which is how your phone keeps you up to date on your signal strength). It's been said that, when you send a text, the information on the text message just piggybacks onto that faint signal.

So the difference between the data usage of someone who does not text and someone who sends 100,000,000 texts a day is zero. That signal is always on, and when you text that extra data it just piggy backs itself on that signal.

NOTE:
I'm not so sure its a signal, it could be just a data packet that has to be sent. And the text message just piggy backs onto that. All I know for sure, is that texts cost phone companies NOTHING extra.

Feel free to correct me or link to the facts.

wth, how did we start talking about text messages
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500gb
RAM: G.Skill 4GB @ 576mhz (4.4.4.12)
PSU: Seasonic SS-400ET