Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 4, 2009, 10:11 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
sorry futures but your just wrong. there is only 1 copyright act in canada. this covers all forms of artistic expression. the reason music is mentioned is becuase that is what the supreme court of Canada set precedents in music first remember napster. and if you can't understand law google is your friend use it cause i am done with this tread. here is another link on what is covered under that act and futures you can interpert that any way you want. talk to your lawer i talk to mine all the time. Copyright Act
LOL.. obviously you're far removed from reality. You don't prove a point by providing all sorts of links and headings to references and say.. hey I'm right.

You need to include the relevent paraphrasing.. the wording from the links / articles that prove your case.. Now, you've just told me and everyone else to use GOOGLE. If its so clear, then just copy and paste the relevent text that prove Canadians are free to pirate whatever we want. I'm sure we all would love to know.

Trust me.. I wish your way of arguing was legit.. would of came handy during a complex legal matter a few years back. Would of just told everyone.. hey I'm right.. here's the law books.. read it... if it aint in the books use GOOGLE.

Nope.. instead.. cost me lawyers.. and had to provide fine precise details.. I won by the way.. cool $10K plus costs.
Old May 4, 2009, 10:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

so you just don't want to read it ( and i never said that it is legal to copy software ) and personals attacks won't change fair use laws
Old May 4, 2009, 12:27 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
so you just don't want to read it ( and i never said that it is legal to copy software ) and personals attacks won't change fair use laws
One last time - because I really want to know.

Gingerbee:
"so you just don't want to read it"

Response:
I clearly said I read the three links you first provided, and commented that they were informative but only offer a loophole for sound / music recording.

Gingerbee:
"and i never said that it is legal to copy software"

Response:
You clearly implied it in your response to b1lk1's post against pirates and people who feel entitled to the latest games, movies and software. Actually, b1lk1 post didn't mention music. (I also share b1lk1's views)

Canada officially added to piracy blacklist

Gingerbee:
"personals attacks won't change fair use laws"

Response:
If my wording is harsh, it's because I'm frustrated you're trashing b1lk1 and my arguments without providing any proof. Accusing me of not reading and telling me and "people" to just read and use google.

Dude, my selfish side DOES want you to be right. I would LOVE to know that as a Canadian, I am legally entitled to pirate the latest games, movies, software AND music.

* Can I ask nicely that you help point out the wording that I may have missed and so the rest of HWC doesn't have to read over pages and pages of text.. or scope through the millions of sites using Google to find the passages that you believe defend your views.

Thanks!
Old May 4, 2009, 02:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ok these are very long to be posting so the easy way is with links but yes there is a lot to read read fair use for canada on wiki. is your best bet very short
Old May 5, 2009, 11:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
and guantanamo bay has been closed ha ha funny one
Except his inner circle is realizing that it's better to keep it open. I wonder if they will come to realize that it is best to keep it open and thus come into full realization!
Old May 5, 2009, 12:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by futures View Post
I didn't figure HWC was a warez chat site. I'm not a saint when it comes to software / music licensing.. I know its absolutely wrong taking things without paying for it and make no justifications for it.

Enjoy the opportunities while they exist.. its completely fair for developers to be paid for their efforts as long as its not intrussive (rootkits, etc).

And as for you losers who knock Obama over this issue.. companies are struggling.. jobs are dissappearing.. you take measures to protect the businesses and jobs where appropriate.
I'm a loser for knocking Obama on this? This type of measure from Obama does NOT protect jobs or business, it instead lines the pockets of a select few. This is protectionist nonsense from Obama's Administration on behalf of movie groups and recording studios. Have you read the US DCMA? It criminalizes fair use.

Aren't you disturbed that Sweden is ranked lower on their list?
Michael Geist - The Absurdity of the USTR's Blame Canada Approach
Old May 5, 2009, 05:21 PM
MVP

Quote:
Your utopian food sampling scenario only makes sense if every single item in a grocery store is available for sampling.
Why does every item have to be available for sampling?
I wouldn't go to the store and buy every single item.

Quote:
My money is most folks here don't pay for the majority of software, music, movies, etc that they find only "half entertaining".. nevermind just awful.
That may be true.
But if a purchase emerged out of said pirated good, it's a purchase that would have never come to be in the first place.

(This ties in with my last paragraph)
If let's say a jar of peanut butter that happened to contain a fragment of glass, I could return said product for a full refund.

If a software program has a huge gaping flaw in it, I am forced to live with it until the developer decides it's convenient to patch it.

Quote:
Mr Death Hawk.. I'm gonna go on a limb and suggest you and most other folks would coward away from thieving from a retail store in person..
Yes... but

Quote:
but in the same token think stealing software is just fine because of annonimity. Theft is theft.. accept it for what it is and enjoy the free ride while it lasts..
If I needed a pair of jeans, I could go to the store, have a look, try them on, etc.
If something is wrong with it, there's a hole that wasn't patched that I didn't notice, it doesn't actually fit me when I get home, or the stiching is very very poor I can just return it for a full refund.

With software, I am unable to fully try it with the "safety net" of returns if I'm not satisfied.
Demos don't count as they rarely offer a full representation of said product.
A prime example is the Point of Sale software I currently use.
The demo worked out perfectly. The actual retail software which I purchased didn't work so nicely.
Old May 5, 2009, 07:08 PM
Allstar
F@H

Bunch of good points on either side.
I wish i had enough money to pay for alot of the things I download but unfortunately i dont. Which i know isnt an excuse i should just not get it. But honestly, we get continually raped and ravaged by large corporations im gonna take as much as i can until they wont let me (Which will be for a long long long time. Private Trackers FTW!!!)
Mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe | CPU: i7 940 | Ram: 3x2 GB | HSF: CM V8 | GPU: HD 6950 | PSU: PCP&C 750W | ]HDD: WD 500gb x3, 120GB Vertex 2 | Case: Antec 1200 | Monitor: 3x Asus VE247H | OS: Win7 Ultimate x64
My Trading Rep:
HWC
OCN
Heat
Ebay

Old May 5, 2009, 08:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

And the rationalization of entitlement continues on. You guys can say whatever you want to make yourselves feel better but stealing is stealing. Say about me what you will, but I do not steal so my conscious is clear. I don't need to make up excuses as to why I have something since I paid for it. I sure do get mad when I buy something crappy, that just makes me more careful the next time.
Old May 5, 2009, 09:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
And the rationalization of entitlement continues on. You guys can say whatever you want to make yourselves feel better but stealing is stealing. Say about me what you will, but I do not steal so my conscious is clear. I don't need to make up excuses as to why I have something since I paid for it. I sure do get mad when I buy something crappy, that just makes me more careful the next time.
Let me be clear about something here because this is the most common mistake about people preaching morals.

The laws involving Copyright focus on Infringement first and foremost. If I download a song without paying and it is illegal, I am not stealing, I am committing Copyright Infringement.

To steal when Copyright is involved is to steal the idea and claim it's yours.