Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 22, 2009, 09:57 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
So for all those that are firm on piracy being an act of stealing and not copyright infringement will someone please be a pioneer and please provide case law demonstrating their belief is tangible and not misguidance?

There are a lot of people out there and on this very board that feel piracy is theft. If it were theft it would be very easy to demonstrate it as such and back it up with case law.
Interesting point. The point of my first post was to show that stricter laws making it easier to convict downloaders/uploaders could be coming.

Am I right Rommel to assume that you are saying since there are no lawsuits or convictions, that it is not stealing?
Fold for team #54196
Old May 28, 2009, 06:24 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

This is priceless; it seems that the Conference Board of Canada, an influential think tank, copied large parts of a recent report on piracy in Canada from a US organization.
Think tank's approach to Hollywood: Copy that - The Globe and Mail

Here is a quote from the article:
Quote:
The Conference Board of Canada said it recalled the reports Thursday after an internal investigation showed that they relied too heavily on – and included entire paragraphs lifted from – a document produced by the International Intellectual Property Alliance (IIPA).
As a result, the IIPA and Conference Board reports were similarly critical of Canada's failure to update its copyright legislation and ratify international intellectual property treaties. The two reports proposed the same solutions for the role Internet service providers should play in combatting piracy, and they both suggested harsher penalties for anyone found to be operating services that allow free sharing of files.
The IIPA is one of a number of international lobby groups putting pressure on Ottawa to update the Copyright Act, which has not changed since 1997, four years before the first iPod went on sale.
The industry wants new laws that would protect digital locks on CDs and DVDs and would make it easier to prosecute the owners of file-sharing services that allow users to download music and movies without paying.
Irony....
Fold for team #54196
Old May 30, 2009, 11:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

Ars just put out an article elaborating further on this.
Quote:
"While the study makes seemingly authoritative claims about the state of Canadian piracy, the reality is that IDC, which conducts the study for BSA, did not bother to survey in Canada," said Geist after checking with the organization. Surveys are only done in "volatile" countries.
Old May 31, 2009, 11:49 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Gotta love how smart all the smart people are, since they're so awesome and know how to run the world 'n stuff.

'Cause they're awesome.
Old June 8, 2009, 04:45 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Another good article discussing the myths about Canadian piracy:
TheStar.com | sciencetech | It's time to slay Canadian file-sharing myths
Fold for team #54196
Old June 8, 2009, 04:35 PM
MVP
F@H

I'm pretty happy we have professors such as Michael Geist using his intimate knowledge on the subject to expose issues such as this one. I think another point that highlights the biased nature of the Conference Board (other than the fact that they were paid by the entertainment lobby to write the report) is that they commissioned a researcher to look into the subject and then refused to use his findings because they were contrary (i.e. not as restrictive) to the message they wanted to get across. He wrote a pretty damn solid draft paper in my opinion (SSRN-Copyright and Innovation in the Networked Information Economy by Jeremy DeBeer).

As for the pro/con piracy argument, I'm not excusing the 'pirates' actions but I can understand where they are coming from. Myself, I see their actions as a protest against over-reaching laws (e.g. DMCA and it's worldwide incarnations) seeking to control fair use and extend DRM beyond what is reasonable and fair. I view it as a protest against companies that refuse to adapt to an ever-evolving information based economy, among others.

I think any solid discourse on this subject, should separate copyright infringement into the three primary media: film, software, and music, since each has their own finer points and issues.

(I still can't believe we were ranked as a high pirating country based on secret methodologies. We've complied with all international regulations and even have more copyright groups than the USA!)

In the end, my opinions don't really matter, but I wanted to throw in my $0.02.

C2Q Blue
Gigabyte EP45-UD3p | Q8400 @ 2.66ghz | Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme w. Scythe | Mushkin Redline PC2-8000 5-5-5-15-2T @ 400mhz |
BFG GTX 295 | 1.32TB WD HDDs | Corsair HX 620 W | Antec 900 | Acer 20" LCD
Old July 8, 2009, 06:43 AM
Allstar

This just in! USA beats Canada again!
60,000 Russian DVDs Seized At 4 Shops - Sacramento News Story - KCRA Sacramento
Old November 5, 2009, 07:17 AM
Rookie

Before this i thought obama was alright, now i can really see he's not so different from the usual idiot from the oval office.