Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 20, 2009, 04:55 PM
Associate Review Editor

Default OCZ Technology Announces Vertex EX 2.5” SLC-based SSD

OCZ Technology have just announced a new line of 2.5" SLC-based solid state drives, the Vertex EX.

Here's what they had to say:

"San Jose, Calif.—April 19, 2009—OCZ Technology Group, Inc., a worldwide leader in innovative, ultra-high performance and high reliability memory and computer components, today unveiled OCZ Vertex EX 2.5” Solid State Drives that is designed to meet the stringent demands of server environments and enterprise applications. These new premium offerings are the pinnacle storage option excelling in performance, reliability, and power consumption that offer professionals and enthusiasts an unparalleled computing experience.

“The advantages of SSD’s over traditional hard disc drives including performance, reliability, no cooling requirements, and lower power consumption, are all highly beneficial to enterprise applications and enthusiast consumers looking for the ultimate storage solution,” commented Alex Mei, CMO of the OCZ Technology Group. “The new OCZ Vertex EX is designed to deliver unparalleled performance and reliability, featuring the latest-generation architecture and SATA interface utilizing single-level cell NAND flash memory for unmatched overall system responsiveness and stability for enterprise grade server solutions.”

Offering a server-class storage upgrade from traditional hard disc drives, OCZ Vertex EX SSDs have a compact form factor and no moving parts resulting in a quiet storage solution with significantly higher performance. For crowded server environments, the OCZ Vertex EX SSDs offer space and cost-savings with a compact form factor that use significantly less power thanks to the benefits of high-quality flash-based storage.

OCZ continues to expand its reach to all areas of computing interests and system preferences by going beyond the enthusiast PC to professional server and workstations. Building on the advantages of SLC flash-based storage, the OCZ Vertex Series EX is the result of the latest breakthroughs in SSD technology, delivering incredible performance that translates to professional-class data storage enthusiasts have come to expect from OCZ’s premium Solid State Drive offerings. These next-generation drives feature speeds up to a 260MB/s read and 210MB/s, while delivering lowered power consumption, increased responsiveness and data access, and superior durability compared to conventional hard drives. Initally available in capacities of 60GB and 120GB, Vertex EX offers ample room to create the ideal storage array for all your data."

Click on image to enlarge

Click here to read the full press release.

Click here to check out the product page.
Old April 20, 2009, 05:11 PM

My System Specs

interesting. I wonder what costs will be like.
Old April 21, 2009, 10:13 PM
Rookie

Default Newbee here

That's what I would really like to know!
I will be purchasing a 60GB one when the price hits drops to about $400.00 (CAN)
Could be a while.

And I can't wait to read a comparison review on it with the x25-e from either Wendy (CD Freaks) or the "SSD Anthology" guy - what's his face...

I couldn't wait on the MLC Vertex and ended up buying the 60GB as soon as I could get one here in Canada. That cost me about $380.00 CAN, even from NewEgg.

This time I will wait a while, but nerd out on the discussions over it.

(Nice to see you here Lowfat! Your avatar confuses me as much as I am sure my OCZ avatar/profile confuses others)
Old April 21, 2009, 11:31 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sung Young Gui View Post
That's what I would really like to know!
I will be purchasing a 60GB one when the price hits drops to about $400.00 (CAN)
Could be a while.

And I can't wait to read a comparison review on it with the x25-e from either Wendy (CD Freaks) or the "SSD Anthology" guy - what's his face...

I couldn't wait on the MLC Vertex and ended up buying the 60GB as soon as I could get one here in Canada. That cost me about $380.00 CAN, even from NewEgg.

This time I will wait a while, but nerd out on the discussions over it.

(Nice to see you here Lowfat! Your avatar confuses me as much as I am sure my OCZ avatar/profile confuses others)
Well the Vertex EX is the same as the Super Talent UltraDrive ME (i think that is the name). And it doesn't do all that much better than the MLC version. So I have my doubt the SLC Vertex will be all that great. I still think the X25-M will be a better performer. And considering the X25-M is getting a $50 price cut, they will be an even better price.
Old April 22, 2009, 12:02 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Well the Vertex EX is the same as the Super Talent UltraDrive ME (i think that is the name). And it doesn't do all that much better than the MLC version. So I have my doubt the SLC Vertex will be all that great. I still think the X25-M will be a better performer. And considering the X25-M is getting a $50 price cut, they will be an even better price.
I agree. I've seen Samsung's MLC and SLC. It seems like the Samsung MLC out performs the SLC. Other than the longer life span of a SLC, I don't even think they have that much of a performance advantage over MLCs unless you go extremely high end.

Old April 22, 2009, 07:24 PM
Rookie

Well I hope it proves better!

What's everyone's guess on the price?

Mine is $629 CAN @ NewEgg openning day, $550 one month later, and then fluxuations up and down from there (based on Intel response and flash prices).
Just a guess...
Old April 22, 2009, 08:14 PM

My System Specs

Even @ $550 for a 60GB I have my doubts it will sell all that well.
Old April 22, 2009, 08:43 PM
Rookie

I agree totally, unless it miraculously blows minds in the spec department.
But then there's the server market; although small, most in this market, when they make their move, make fairly large purchases.

Man, you're drowning my excitement on it. lol
But that's ok, when you speak reality.

What do you think about the Intel x25-e SLC?
Old April 23, 2009, 04:05 AM
Banned

I think I'm due to order one, I guess your link help me in my decission

AnandTech: The SSD Anthology: Understanding SSDs and New Drives from OCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
....... And considering the X25-M is getting a $50 price cut, they will be an even better price.
Old April 23, 2009, 01:13 PM
Rookie

Just in on the SLC Vertex - First beta test by developers:

Quote 1
"Not sure this FW will be final... so I won't quote FW version at ya just yet.
ATTO scores were 200 writes 270 reads."

But the more important benching that determins the real response of the drive (4K read/writes, random read/writes and what not) can be seen on the OCZ forum.

Quote 2
"I must say these 60GB drives are killer, they are as fast if not faster than 2xMLC Vertex raid 0" (and the MLC Vertex is the next best thing to the Intel drives)