Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 19, 2007, 08:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Blockbuster chooses BlueRay

This is obviously a side-effect of PS3 being an affordable BR player- I wonder if marketing history will ever smile on the pS3 though.

Blockbuster Inc. will rent high-definition DVDs only in the Blu-ray format in 1,450 stores when it expands its high-def offerings next month, dealing a major blow to the rival HD DVD format.
The move, being announced Monday, could be the first step in resolving a format war that has kept confused consumers from rushing to buy new DVD players until they can determine which format will dominate the market.
Blockbuster has been renting both Blu-ray and HD DVD titles in 250 stores since late last year and found that consumers were choosing Blu-ray titles more than 70 percent of the time.
"The consumers are sending us a message. I can't ignore what I'm seeing," Matthew Smith, senior vice president of merchandising at Blockbuster, told The Associated Press.

More from FoxNews
Old July 6, 2007, 09:57 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

This isn't a shock. Of the 2 formats my money was on BlueRay. You saw them in stores more, they've had blueray displays in Futureshop for awhile now and HD-DVD ones are just starting to pop up. Then of course PS3 adaption, (although the game line-up has not impressed me so far).