Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 25, 2009, 09:34 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Why would I want an automobile when I have a horse?
Why email when you can just call the person?
Why buy something from the internet when I can go to the store and see it for myself?
I can't help but take issue with that; those are very poorly chosen examples of people clinging to "old" technology.

I like riding horses, I prefer calling people, and I very much prefer walking into a store to hold whatever it is that I'm trying to buy. . .

in my very own hands. . .

. . .as opposed to staring at pretty pictures and statistics pages on the internet, where the vendor of said product can make you see whatever they want you to see.
[/rant]

As for this service, I don't see it getting off the ground too quickly. Oh, it may eventually get to the point where your entire console purchase is just a controller and an account number (or something), and all of your games and account related activities are handled elsewhere...

Really, though, as it stands, we don't quite have a good enough network for that, yet. There are far too many people out there with inadequate connections for this type of gaming to take off quickly. Beyond that, there are still people like me: those who would prefer to have a solid piece of hardware in their hands over some ephemereal connection to the "Network".

I can't help it. If I can't reach out and poke it, it loses a good half of it's allure.
Old March 25, 2009, 09:50 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I don't really see it catching on for two main reasons.
One is internet connectivity, I believe they stated that HD streaming of games would require sustained ~5Mb/s, which is not the easiest to get here in Canada. Out here in the West, we have to major ISP's, Shaw and Telus. Telus' 6Mb/s connection is realisitically closer to 4Mb/s, which would offer a degraded experience. Shaw's basic residential service is 7.5Mb/s, and it usually runs at least about 5Mb/s, but to be safe, you'd likely want Shaw's Extreme-I which is 15Mb/s and can easily sustain 8Mb/s.
Still, there's not really a whole lot of choice in internet connectivity that can handle that properly (essentially, barring special services, Shaw's Extreme-I or Nitro are the only choices for most out West). Add to that latency (in Vancouver, 20ms of latency to Seattle isn't that strange) and it looks less likely to happen.
The second thing is that I can't figure out the economics of the servers and bandwidth. Powerful servers aren't cheap to run and keep upgraded to be able to play the latest and greatest, and 5Mb/s of upload bandwidth per client isn't that cheap when there are a lot of people playing games.
Old March 25, 2009, 11:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispex View Post
I can't help but take issue with that; those are very poorly chosen examples of people clinging to "old" technology.

I like riding horses, I prefer calling people, and I very much prefer walking into a store to hold whatever it is that I'm trying to buy. . .

in my very own hands. . .

. . .as opposed to staring at pretty pictures and statistics pages on the internet, where the vendor of said product can make you see whatever they want you to see.

[/rant]

As for this service, I don't see it getting off the ground too quickly. Oh, it may eventually get to the point where your entire console purchase is just a controller and an account number (or something), and all of your games and account related activities are handled elsewhere...

Really, though, as it stands, we don't quite have a good enough network for that, yet. There are far too many people out there with inadequate connections for this type of gaming to take off quickly. Beyond that, there are still people like me: those who would prefer to have a solid piece of hardware in their hands over some ephemereal connection to the "Network".

I can't help it. If I can't reach out and poke it, it loses a good half of it's allure.
I take issue with the fact you didn't come up with better examples.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old March 26, 2009, 04:47 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Touche', Mr. Bond. Touche'.
Old March 26, 2009, 05:01 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by death_hawk View Post
Now THAT'S talent. Having a ADSL2 stream that's close to 1500x what it's rated for.
I have an HD PVR, SD TV box, Internet, and phone, all on the same line, and paid just $116.00 last month.

Telus will be offering faster too:

TELUS ADSL2 Rocks My World | Chris Chen dot See Eh!

Now granted, I'm one of like maybe 5 people using TelusTV service in my area, but it works great.

Even better, check out the rates, 15GB service is only $50 a month:

TELUS?

And because I have both TV and Interent, I'm not subject to any download GB/month caps. But because I have HDTV, my PC internet usage is capped, so the TV doesn't drop out.

Old March 26, 2009, 05:25 PM
MVP

My System Specs

That cap has to suck. I've never had any kind of download cap like that, and I can only hope it stays that way.
Old March 26, 2009, 05:39 PM
Banned
F@H

meh, 350k(3mb) is enough for me. I get a bit more than that, but that's my "comfort" level.
Old March 26, 2009, 05:40 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
25/5 is actually a decent ratio, but how about caps? Port blocking? Fail service?

I'm more excited about 100/15 Cityplace.
Old March 26, 2009, 05:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispex View Post
Touche', Mr. Bond. Touche'.
Heh heh ;)

Maybe something like 8 Track is a better example? Anyways I think most of us agree this service is a bit premature at this time. There's a lot of variables that need to be smoothed out and it will take a lot of combined efforts to smooth them. Also the Shack's hands on isn't giving anyone confidence right now.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old March 26, 2009, 05:53 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Premature like the Dreamcast was...