Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 25, 2009, 10:11 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

It may happen someday but the technology is not there for the average consumer today to make it commercially viable. This bandwidth is competing with the bandwidth used by many other services coming online, and what happens if you get a bunch of people in a neighborhood playing? Even if the service is usable at an acceptable level 80% of the time it will not be good enough. It would have to take some serious traffic shaping to have any chance to make money in the near future.
Fold for team #54196
Old March 25, 2009, 10:40 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I can see this happening.. although it will probably take years for most locations to be able to handle this.
Old March 25, 2009, 10:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I can see it happening in the near term for sure; the potential is there already. Bandwidth isn't going to be an issue over the next two years, caps are there but this is still less bandwidth than would be needed to download the program if you're a pirate of your own software galleon.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old March 25, 2009, 10:49 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

This is a historic photograph from 1925, a family listening to the radio for the first time:

Old March 25, 2009, 10:58 AM
Banned
F@H

I have 17 Gbit, yes, 17...ADSL2. Bandwidth is not so nearly so much an issue as is the ISP's actually investing in the equipment to support such speeds for everyone...which is just a matter of them buying/installing it. It's already been in the news that Telus is building ANOTHER network building here in town to be able to support these higher speeds competitively.

7Gbit for HDTV. 5Gbit for SDTV. 5Gbit for pcs. Get rid of the SDTV, merge it with the PC bandwidth, and I think I'm set.
Old March 25, 2009, 11:41 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

This is probably gonna be US-only service, before our Canadian infrastructure gets in place to faciliate that sort of transition.
Old March 25, 2009, 01:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

not in Canada, maybe US

and I like my disc, manual and case

I could see it in the future but it's too soon for us with the bandwidth cap

and if I understand correctly, it can only do 720p, right?
Old March 25, 2009, 02:04 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

There's a 50 min video presentation by company creators:

Video: OnLive gaming demonstrated live, network latency discussed
Old March 25, 2009, 02:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

OnLive Hands-on Impressions: A Blocky View of the Future of PC Gaming - Shacknews - PC Games, PlayStation, Xbox 360 and Wii video game news, previews and downloads

"But unfortunately, the illusion faded along with the loading screen. Once I was in the game itself, I immediately noticed the unwelcome signs of blocky compression. It wasn't so compressed that it was entirely distracting from the gameplay, but it was also worse than I expected."
Old March 25, 2009, 03:46 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
I have 17 Gbit, yes, 17...ADSL2.

Now THAT'S talent. Having a ADSL2 stream that's close to 1500x what it's rated for.

I can't see bandwidth being an issue though.
The hour long video states an average of 2MBit for 720p with a peak of 4MBit.
They also state an average usage of 60 hours per month for a gamer.

2MBit = 20GB per day
60 hours = 2.5 days

20GB x 2.5 days = 50GB per Month.

Ok maybe I do see a problem with bandwidth caps....

I have more notes over at NCIX:
NCIX FORUMS - Onlive- Gaming on ANY computer