Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 24, 2009, 03:02 PM
Allstar

I've been running OS X on my main system as a VM from practically the moment it was cracked, primarily for Safari testing these days. At first, I was trying to get it to work well enough as my primary OS, and I did, but ended up going back to Windows to run all my favorite apps natively. It may seem silly, but the thing that really sells OS X for me is its font smoothing. I cannot understand why Windows does not AT LEAST offer something similar as an option. ClearType is not nearly good enough, and it doesn't look a thing like print.

The Mac Pro MAY seem overpriced for what it is, but you're buying a specialty product. It offers a few things no other company does. if I had to put a price on the case, I'd say it's worth about $500-700 (hell, the OLD ones go for $300 on eBay). But it's also designed to fit perfectly with their custom motherboard, which features a PULL-OUT TRAY (!!) for the CPUs and motherboard. That motherboard should be worth another $500-700. Let's call it $1000 for the two, even though that's a sure undervaluation. That leaves us with $2300 for two CPUs (they're $900 each), 6 ECC 1GB DDR3 DIMMs (another $180), a 640GB HDD ($60), Nvidia GT 120 ($100-150?), your usual accessories ($100), and a power supply ($200+). Oh, and then there's also the warranty, support, and software. Suddenly the price isn't looking so bad, eh?
1x 8800 Ultra --> Sony GDM-FW900 + LVM-37w3se // HT Omega Striker ~ (optical) Pioneer SE-DIR800C ~+ SE-DHP800 / HD 280 Pro
Old March 24, 2009, 04:30 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Don't expect Mac OS X work work well on an eee, if at all. If your interested heres some good links with information about running Mac OS X on a PC. I've never done it myself but from what I understand you have to be careful what parts you use in a clone.

http://www.insanelymac.com/osx86db/
Main Page - OSx86
Thanks. I'll give it a shot. I'll partition the unit and see how it goes.

CHEERS
Old March 30, 2009, 02:32 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Operating System: $200-$900 | Asuming your using some flavor of Windows or Linux w/ support pakage. Sorry guys but an OS is a must, and even linux won't be free if *properly* used as a workstation as you'll want support.
That's $200 to $900 too much for an OS. My favourite Linux distro is $0 and support for it is another $0. This adds up to a grand total of $0.
Hey, I think that's a big minus for the Mac. You don't have the choice of the OS (not to mention the ugly and cheap looking case, seriously, you'd expect a decent case on a machine that expensive).

I'm having trouble figuring out how they figure this is faster than a 4-way/6-core Dunnington. But it must be, as it's the fastest "PC" out there. Must be Apple's "creative marketing" at work again.
Old March 30, 2009, 07:40 AM
MVP

Fastest PC is when they compare it to other large name brand PC builders like Dell, HP, Compaq and Acer. Pretty cut and dry there.

You really think the case is ugly and cheap looking? I personally think it is one of the best built cases on the market, and looks OK. It is solid as a rock, super quiet and very well designed. It's only drawback is the fact that the design requires proprietary components in that it does not adhere to the standard ATX or EATX standard. Have you ever seen one modified to hold a regular PC? Some of them are outstanding pieces, and if they were easier to get a hold of I would do one myself.

I tried OSX on three PCs, one an Asus P965 which worked pretty good because the chipset is so standard. The other an Asus P5K which worked even better because the chipset was supported better in the OSX package. The third was a Gigabyte mATX AM2 system with an X2-3800 which suprisingly also worked pretty good.

The problem was, in all three systems, something didn't work and I couldn't resolve the issues. That makes it pretty useless other than a test or toy. To use the OS as a daily worker (for me), it must be fully functioning. As it turned out, all I had was some cool surfing machines. I would not, in any way shape or form, purchase software to run on these systems, because the risk that the software would not work was too high. Unfortunately, on the MAC side of things, virtually all usefull software costs money. Mac shareware is pitiful, and nothing usefull is freeware. Even the garage programmer wants $20-$40 for his useless utility.

I was a hard core Mac user years ago, when I purchased a PC dedicated to play games (as Half-Life became the rage). Since then, I have become a hard core PC user who owns a Mac for graphics and his wife's digital camera habit. I'd never go back, but when I am in the workforce, I get paid to use a Mac, not a PC.

boot: 4x WD Caviar SE16 250gb SATA2 Raid-0
backup: Seagate 500gb 32mb SATA2
eye: eVGA 9800GTX+ SC 512mb 770/2.25ghz
candy: Samsung 940B-HAS | X-Fi XMusic | Pioneer DVR-212D SATA
juice: PC Power & Cooling 750Quad | Cooler Master HAF932
steering: Logitech G15 & G5 | E3D Pro/Momo Wheel | X-530's