Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 8, 2009, 09:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

considering how long dx10 cards have been out and considering how fast technology moves there really is no need for them to still support this tech, it will be better for them to put money towards the present and the future rather than the past.
Old March 9, 2009, 03:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I've been doing some research and checked with a few people I know working in the industry, and the same thing comes out - DX10 and VISTA and the fact there is not enough support for VISTA to warrant native DX10 games - and given what Windows 7 is, I don't see any major move from XP just yet, as Windows 7 is no more than VISTA with a new skin, with still very immature drivers especially for video. One thing for sure, don't rush to buy those new DX11 cards just yet, :)
Old March 9, 2009, 06:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKStar View Post
I've been doing some research and checked with a few people I know working in the industry, and the same thing comes out - DX10 and VISTA and the fact there is not enough support for VISTA to warrant native DX10 games - and given what Windows 7 is, I don't see any major move from XP just yet, as Windows 7 is no more than VISTA with a new skin, with still very immature drivers especially for video. One thing for sure, don't rush to buy those new DX11 cards just yet, :)
Then what's the point of upgrading? The reason people buy new hardware is for the extra capabilities and speed. It's great that new hardware can play old stuff. From the looks of it, it seems that Windows 7 was what Vista was supposed to be, as it's had really good results thus far in the game. I'm actually looking forward to installing it because Microsoft has actually listened to the consumers.

That point aside, AMD is probably restructuring their departments so that they can get out better quality products, so they're getting rid of plenty of things. DX9 has been around for so long that they really can't improve upon the performance of the engine anymore. It's time to move on to bigger and better things.
Old March 10, 2009, 01:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

you see, the funny thing is I think Vista is what XP should have been, well almost, its what XP SP2 should have been.

But they arent dropping dx9 support, just dropping support of cards that only support dx9 from what I can tell.
Old March 20, 2009, 06:42 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Nvidia stopped supporting the GeForce 5000-series cards years ago and they were about the same age, maybe even younger than the X1000 cards are now, when Nvidia cut support.

It's not like people running 4 year old cards update their drivers on a monthly basis, anyways. Hell, I bet most people running an X1000 card haven't updated their drivers in over a year.
x1xxx series are the same age as the 7xxx series from nvidia. During the 5xxx series from nvidia was when the 9xxx pro cards were being produced. That really old.

That being said, nvidia still support up to the 6xxx series, which would be the 800xt days from ATI. So NV actually supporting their cards longer.

Considering the quality of ATI drivers, I think NV alot better in this regard.
Old March 20, 2009, 06:54 AM
Banned
F@H

ATi has always been forward-thinking when it comes to DX support...those 9xxx cards were designed specifically for Microsoft to develop DX9 on...and at this time, ATI has dropped support for DX9 as they push forward with drivers for Win7. IN the current economic climate, you can't really blame them for this move...Catalyst 9.3 is the first unified driver for Vista/Win7...

Another thing to take from this...Win7 must VERY close to release.