Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old March 6, 2009, 07:37 AM
SKYMTL's Avatar
HardwareCanuck Review Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 13,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by decivox View Post
What? I was hoping they would have hired more on instead of laying them off, their drivers aren't the best.....
I think they are doing the right thing. You streamline your development team and then cut down on the legacy products which each driver supports which frees up your team to concentrate on performance increases for new cards. Plus, a bigger team is very rarely the answer to any problems.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old March 6, 2009, 08:07 AM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,628
Default

Yeah, it's hard to have lots of people working on what is really work for just a few people...only so many people can look at so many lines of code without interfering with what another coder is doing...although I think they should have dropped the HD2xxx-series as well, and focused on the HD3xxx and HD4xxx -series, considering the ringbus straddles both the X1K and HD2xxx -series.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old March 6, 2009, 12:01 PM
bojangles's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oakville, ON
Posts: 2,684

My System Specs

Default

I actually wouldn't mind them if they released driver bimonthly. That way I know that they can actually test their fixes so they work properly...
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old March 6, 2009, 12:01 PM
Allstar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Van Isle, BC
Posts: 550
Default

Nvidia stopped supporting the GeForce 5000-series cards years ago and they were about the same age, maybe even younger than the X1000 cards are now, when Nvidia cut support.

It's not like people running 4 year old cards update their drivers on a monthly basis, anyways. Hell, I bet most people running an X1000 card haven't updated their drivers in over a year.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old March 7, 2009, 12:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,221

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
More like a result of them laying off a good portion of their driver team...
I was never happy with ATI's frequency of updates in the first place - Again more reason why I stick to NVIDIA and will continue doing so.

As far as DX10 it is a MASSIVE joke - DX9 is stronger than ever and expected to remain so for quite some time to come....... DX10 has been a flop because of unpopularity of VISTA and its exclusivity - There is barely anything DX10 now - only a few titles, most of which do not make full use of DX10's visuals anyway !
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old March 7, 2009, 09:29 AM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,628
Default

DX9 is actually the joke now.

The problem is that not one of the current DX10-supporting games out there are actualyl desgined as a DX10 app from the ground up...so yeah, of course they are a joke...but that's because they are DX9 posing as DX10...

That said, DX10 done well, actually brings alot to a programmer...unfortunately, when the market is inundated with DX9 gpus, you have to cater to the masses.


AMD, in this statement, has basically said that they have got the best they can out of thier tech for DX9, so are moving on to bigger and better, as they should. nVidia and thier business and design practices have been holding the graphics industry back for far long enough now...had they actually supported DX10, DX10 apps wouldn't be as poor as they are currently. Place the blame where it belongs, DarkStar.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old March 7, 2009, 03:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,221

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
DX9 is actually the joke now.
Actually visually, DX9 is great ! You would be surprised at what you can achieve with DX9 with the right coding and clever use of textures and lighting - DX9 is more than decent.... Expect to see DX9 games for quite some time....

Quote:
The problem is that not one of the current DX10-supporting games out there are actualyl desgined as a DX10 app from the ground up...so yeah, of course they are a joke...but that's because they are DX9 posing as DX10...
Exactly - and why do you think ? DX10 being exclusive to VISTA......Microsoft's biggest f*ck up.

Also we keep hearing about DX10.1, and now DX11 support to come with Windows 7 final......who's being laughed at here, who is kidding who.......the PC market is dead, companies are moving towards console, and the big companies have been clear that they will concentrate on consoles - and most of the PC titles will be ports anyways......I think pigs will fly in hell before NATIVE DX10/DX11 games come out on the PC !

Quote:
That said, DX10 done well, actually brings alot to a programmer...unfortunately, when the market is inundated with DX9 gpus, you have to cater to the masses.
That is NOT an excuse - at the time, I spent $170 CDN on my BFG 8800GT OC 512MB card after the store specials and mail-in rebates ! You can get a top of the line 9 series cards (I've seen a 9800GTX for under $249), so that is NOT an excuse considering years ago you would spend over $700 for similar DX9 cards and yet DX9 games were flowing like water from a fountain - can't say the same about DX10 because of VISTA !
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old March 7, 2009, 05:49 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKStar View Post
I think pigs will fly in hell before NATIVE DX10/DX11 games come out on the PC !
Better keep an eye on the skies, then...
Quote:
Creative Assembly's RTS Stormrise will be one of the first PC games to require both a DirectX 10-capable video card and Windows Vista, according to an interview on PC Games Hardware.

"Stormrise has been designed for DirectX 10 and Vista only right from the start," said Stormrise lead designer Artem Kulakov, who later clarified: "Vista only. DX10 only. No fallback option. We have never suggested this or hinted at it, so it shouldn't be a surprise."


"DX10 has offered a lot of advantages over DX9," he added. "First of all, DirectX 10 allowed us to simplify the rendering engine. It matches capabilities of next generation consoles better than DX9, which is important for us considering that Stormrise is a multi-platform title. We had fewer driver-specific compatibility issues with Stormrise compare to our previous games released with DX9."

A new IP from Total War developers Creative Assembly, the small-scale RTS Stormrise was designed primarily with console controls in mind. The game is expected to arrive in stores on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 this month.
Stormrise PC to Require DirectX 10, Vista - Shacknews - PC Games, PlayStation, Xbox 360 and Wii video game news, previews and downloads


So, I fail to see what your point was? That the industry shouldn't continue to innovate, and should keeep selling the same old thing? I truly hope not.



Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old March 8, 2009, 02:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,221

My System Specs

Default

LMAO - Sorry if I didn't get the point across - in no way am I talking against DX 10 ! Quite the opposite I am the first one to want things to go forward. The point was, DX 10 is a flop because its exclusivty to VISTA and VISTA not being too popular, forcing game developers to stay away from DX10 exclusive games. I mean I will bring you back in time of DX 8, when new DX 9 cards started to surface, DX 9 games were coming out like crazy - why ? you didn't have to change your OS ! :D You have to admit this has hurt DX10 a lot, as VISTA did. I am aware of certain games that are in dev and only a handful in DX10, not as much as I would like. Eventhough DX10 hardware is cheap now compared a decent DX9 card back then being worth $500-$800, fact remain you need VISTA and some people simply will not make the move from XP yet! I am fully aware about the potential DX10/DX10.1 offers to programmer, but how many people have switched to VISTA ? I personally use both XP and VISTA because I know my computers and have set them both up and they are running smooth as silk - I also plan on making DX10 apps/games myself so I am all for technology :)
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old March 8, 2009, 08:42 PM
bojangles's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oakville, ON
Posts: 2,684

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKStar View Post
LMAO - Sorry if I didn't get the point across - in no way am I talking against DX 10 ! Quite the opposite I am the first one to want things to go forward. The point was, DX 10 is a flop because its exclusivty to VISTA and VISTA not being too popular, forcing game developers to stay away from DX10 exclusive games. I mean I will bring you back in time of DX 8, when new DX 9 cards started to surface, DX 9 games were coming out like crazy - why ? you didn't have to change your OS ! :D You have to admit this has hurt DX10 a lot, as VISTA did. I am aware of certain games that are in dev and only a handful in DX10, not as much as I would like. Eventhough DX10 hardware is cheap now compared a decent DX9 card back then being worth $500-$800, fact remain you need VISTA and some people simply will not make the move from XP yet! I am fully aware about the potential DX10/DX10.1 offers to programmer, but how many people have switched to VISTA ? I personally use both XP and VISTA because I know my computers and have set them both up and they are running smooth as silk - I also plan on making DX10 apps/games myself so I am all for technology :)
That and companies don't like change, just as we don't like all the changes in VISTA...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Direct Canada sells used products as new polybomber New Builds 29 September 18, 2008 11:27 AM
Where to buy water cooling products in Toronto? Jack Rabbit Off Topic 1 September 9, 2007 10:23 AM
New watercooling products at NCIX Babrbarossa Water Cooling 11 June 21, 2007 11:48 AM
HardwareZone list the best products of 2006 Supergrover Press Releases & Tech News 0 December 27, 2006 04:12 PM