Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 19, 2009, 08:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default CRTC to weigh Internet content regulation

"The federal broadcast regulator will begin hearings on Tuesday in Gatineau, Que., to review its policy of allowing broadcasting content to be unregulated on the Internet and cellphones." @Winnipeg Sun

You can find more here:

"Shaw Communications President Peter Bissonette tells iNews 880 when SHAW appears before the CRTC next month, the message will be loud and clear: "we're saying leave it alone...it doesn't need regulating. The market is driving it, the content is there to fill the void, and let that be what's driving the internet. You know it's a new world...and don't ask us to control the new world." @iNews 880

"He added that the performers would like to see a levy charged to Internet providers that would fund the production of Canadian programs -- a position that both ACTRA and the Directors Guild of Canada (DGC) have endorsed." @CTV.ca

"A battle pitting broadcasters and Internet distributors against artist and producer groups forms the backdrop for hearings starting Tuesday on whether the Internet should be regulated in Canada." @Financial Post

Figured this was news worthy as it could dramatically affect our internet.

Old February 20, 2009, 09:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It's all about money, and I f***ing hate it. It's fine the way it is. It's just another way for a company to dig more money out of our pocket when they already are.
Old February 20, 2009, 01:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Any way you look at this one thing rings clear. It is only a matter of time before the internet is fully regulated and it is only a matter of time the internet will become more costly. There is far too much free content out there for the greedy to want cash in on and when big business and these ridiculous "artist representation" morons and groups get involved you can guarantee the end users will get screwed. It is not "if", it is "when".
Old February 20, 2009, 01:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

As citizen we might not have the right to stop it, but we sure can make things difficult for those in power.
Old February 20, 2009, 01:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Weeee! Let's limit what we can and cannot do! Hurray for Net Neutrality! If Canada becomes something like China.....
Old February 20, 2009, 02:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Say this goes through, and I put a video on youtube of my dog playing the flute with it's butt while farting. Am I gonna see royalties from all the views I get? LOL

Who is doing the crying here? And just exactly how are they being cheated out of their royalties? If NBC wants to charge me to watch an episode of Heroes online go right ahead. But don't lump some fee into my services because I might watch Heroes online.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old February 20, 2009, 02:12 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Aren't we already paying a tax on media (ie. optical media) that goes to music performers? I wonder how much of that tax actually went to them?
Fold for team #54196
Old February 20, 2009, 03:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Trust me, I do not believe in this or condone it. My point is that natural human greed and the desire of people to have control over everyone else will make this happen. While I don't expect us to get treated like the Chinese, I just expect us to get royally screwed on prices and what we pay for internet service. It just seems inevitable.
Old February 20, 2009, 06:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You guys are being retarded hahaha, this is a GOOD thing, as a Canadian and a contributor to Canadian music our culture IS COMPLETELY drowned out among the world on the internet. Most other countries do something similar, in Europe for example a percentage of the money the ISP's makes goes to a fund which is given out to grass roots projects for television/radio/internent productions. The only major issue with this plan that I see so far is that there is no way for them to stop the ISP's from turning the fee back onto the consumer. In a few countries with similar programs they actually regulate the fees people pay the ISP to ensure to their best ability that the ISP's are footing the bill for the project and it isn't passed on to the consumer.

EDIT: P.s. This is not about limiting what we can view online it's about providing funds to increase the amount of Canadian content projects available on the internet; any Canadian who dosn't feel a sense of pride when they see a "Made in Canada" tag on the end of a film has got to be completely insane in my mind.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.

Last edited by encorp; February 20, 2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old February 20, 2009, 06:16 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The problem w/ CND content is that most of it blows. IF its good enough to compete on the world stage w/ out Protectionism then it should, otherwise let it stay local. This is a money grab plain and simple. Why should EVERYONE be forced to give moeny to "starving artists"? IF the "artists" don't like it...let 'em beg like PBS in the states does...or get real jobs.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr