Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 11, 2009, 08:16 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Intel X58 Mobos get SLI

Yup, that is right. Those of you sporting the Intel DX58SO will now be able to run SLI presumably after a BIOS update.

This is definately good news for those who bought these boards.

More here: NVIDIA SLI Technology Now Available For INTEL Branded X58-Based Motherboards

Download link for BIOS: Download Search Results!

Last edited by SKYMTL; February 11, 2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old February 11, 2009, 08:18 AM
Banned
F@H

Fantastic news. I wonder, if now, in Win7, with one of those 4-slot boards, you could have both a Crossfire and a SLi pair installed...
Old February 11, 2009, 09:12 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
Fantastic news. I wonder, if now, in Win7, with one of those 4-slot boards, you could have both a Crossfire and a SLi pair installed...

That would be like mixing matter and anti-matter together...
Let me just make sure I am far enough away before you go and do that..

Cool news though, even if I'm an ATI boy.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 11, 2009, 09:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Nvidia's has to be hurting right now with i7. It makes sense financially at least the DX58SO user will have the option to SLI now as they should have from the beginning.

EE
Old February 11, 2009, 09:17 AM
Banned
F@H

As far as I know, all dual-slot X58 boards will eventually support dual-SLi, but not Tri-Sli. I beleive tri-Sli requires the NF200 chips on the board, but I could be mistaken...
Old February 11, 2009, 09:42 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Added link to BIOS download
Old February 11, 2009, 09:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
I beleive tri-Sli requires the NF200 chips on the board, but I could be mistaken...
I'm pretty sure the NF200 is just a PCI-E lane simulator, since there are several X58 boards out already that support Tri-SLI, but don't have the chip (i.e. EVGA, Asus), they just run at x16/x8/x8 when all three PCI-E x16 slots are populated.

For that matter, there have been a few reviews indicating that having the 'full' x16 bandwidth for each slot doesn't mean jack over x8. Seems that the NF200 doesn't actually create more overall bandwidth, it just diverts the available bandwidth between two different slots as needed.
Old February 11, 2009, 09:55 AM
Banned
F@H

It doesn't manage peer-to-peer writes at all? That was all I could imagine for a proprietary chip...otherwise, as you say, there really is no reason for NF200...Of course, Crossfire does not require any additional chips, so I suppose nVidia is just as capable...I just remember having to swap daughter boards around in first SLi implementations...

Anything that makes things easier for end-users to configure a system gets kudos for me...having to buy specialized parts due to liscencing agreements just doesn't sit well in my stomach.

I'm completely clueless when it comes to X58/SLI/i7...built a few rigs for people, but I haven't spet alot of time on i7, due to the cost.

Tax Time is coming soon though...once I've paid the gov what I owe them, I can consider such purchases again(having your own businesses and having to pay taxes sux).
Old February 11, 2009, 10:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
Nvidia's has to be hurting right now with i7.

EE
How would Nvidia be hurting with i7?
Old February 11, 2009, 10:04 AM
Banned
F@H

With Core2, they had thier own boards, so were selling more chipsets for those that wanted SLi...this is not the case with i7...I do not beleive that they have a liscence to make i7 chipsets...decreasing thier overall revenues.